kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|• Mayor||John Hollar|
|• Total||10.3 sq mi (27 km2)|
|• Land||10.2 sq mi (26 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||600 ft (182 m)|
|• Total||8,035 (city proper)|
|• Density||784.0/sq mi (302.7/km2)|
Montpelier // is a city in the U.S. state of Vermont that serves as the state capital. It is also the shire town (county seat) of Washington County. As the capital of Vermont, Montpelier is the site of the Vermont State House, seat of the legislative branch of Vermont government. The Vermont State House has a golden dome. The population was 7,855 at the 2010 census. By population, it is the smallest state capital in the United States. The Vermont History Museum and Vermont College of Fine Arts are in Montpelier.
The state legislature made Montpelier the state capital in 1805.
- Montpelier - Definitions from Dictionary.com
- Title 24, Part I, Chapter 1, §13, Vermont Statutes. Accessed 2007-11-01.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Template.cfm?Section=Find_a_County&Template=/cffiles/counties/usamap.cfm. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Montpelier (city) Quick Facts from the U.S. Census Bureau". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/50/5046000.html. Retrieved November 26, 2011.
- Smallest capital city plans big MLK celebration. Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- "Montpelier History". Central Vermont Chamber of Commerce. http://www.central-vt.com/towns/history/HstMont.htm. Retrieved November 26, 2011.
- City of Montpelier, Vermont
- Kellogg-Hubbard Library
- Central Vermont Chamber of Commerce
- State of Vermont