kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Amerika Sāmoa (Samoan)
|Status||Unincorporated and unorganized territory|
and largest village
|Demonym(s)||American Samoan (official)|
|Government||Territorial presidential constitutional republic|
|House of Representatives|
|Unincorporated and unorganized territory of the United States|
|June 14, 1889|
|December 2, 1899|
|April 17, 1900|
|July 16, 1904|
|March 4, 1925|
|February 20, 1929|
|April 27, 1960|
|199 km2 (77 sq mi) (unranked)|
• Water (%)
• 2016 estimate
• 2010 census
|272/km2 (704.5/sq mi) (n/a)|
|GDP (PPP)||2013 estimate|
• Per capita
|Currency||United States dollar (USD)|
|Time zone||UTC-11 (Samoa Standard Time (SST))|
|Calling code||+1 684|
|ISO 3166 code||AS|
In 1899, Germany and the U.S. divided the Samoan group of islands. The U.S. got the smaller group of islands on the east side. These islands had a good harbor near the capital city, Pago Pago. The western islands were run by Germany and then by New Zealand and are now the independent country Samoa.
Officially, American Samoa is an "unorganized" territory. This means that the U.S. Congress has not passed an Organic Act. But the people who live in American Samoa rule themselves. Their constitution became effective on July 1, 1967.
|Wikinews has news related to this article: US Federal judge rules American Samoans are citizens, then delays implementation pending appeal|
People who are born in American Samoa are called U.S. nationals, not U.S. citizens. This means they have some of the same rights as citizens but not all of them. Unlike people who are not Americans at all, American Samoans can go to any other part of the United States they want and live there for as long as they want. But they are not allowed to vote, to be on juries in court, to run for office, or to hold any job that the employee has to be a citizen to hold. For contrast, someone born in Puerto Rico or Guam is a citizen, so if they move to a state, they are allowed to vote in that state and in all federal elections.
Some American Samoans like that they are not American citizens and others do not. Some American Samoans say that being nationals and not citizens makes it easier for them to keep the fa'a Samoa, the Samoan way of life. In 2019, three American Samoans living in Utah sued the U.S. government to say they are citizens. The judge agreed with them. The judge said that the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution says that anyone born in any part of the United States is a citizen, and that should mean American Samoans too. But the next day, he said they should not register to vote until after an appeal judge has seen the case. 
In 2016, the United States Supreme Court decided they did not want to look at a case about whether American Samoans are citizens.
- "American Samoa GDP – per capita (PPP) – Economy". http://www.indexmundi.com/american_samoa/gdp_per_capita_(ppp).html.
- "Samoa switches to driving on left". September 8, 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8243110.stm.
- "U.S. Citizen Vs U.S. National: Differences". U.S. Immigration. https://www.usimmigration.org/articles/u-s-citizen-vs-u-s-national-what-is-the-difference. Retrieved December 14, 2019.
- "American Samoa". GovTrack. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/AS. Retrieved December 14, 2019.
- Dennis Romboy (December 13, 2019). "Judge puts citizenship ruling for American Samoans on hold". KSL. https://www.ksl.com/article/46690822/judge-puts-citizenship-ruling-for-american-samoans-on-hold. Retrieved December 14, 2019.
- Kelleher of NBC and Anita Snow and Matthew Lee of the Associated Press (December 13, 2019). "U.S. should recognize American Samoans as citizens, judge says". NBC News. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/us-should-recognize-american-samoans-citizens-judge-says-n1101501. Retrieved December 14, 2019.
- Vanessa Romo (December 13, 2019). American Samoans' Citizenship Status Still In Limbo After Judge Issues Stay. NPR. https://www.npr.org/2019/12/13/787978353/american-samoans-citizenship-status-still-in-limbo-after-judge-issues-stay. Retrieved December 14, 2019.
- American Samoa at the Open Directory Project
- Government of American Samoa
- Wikimedia Atlas of American Samoa
- NOAA's National Weather Service - American Samoa