kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Santa Fe, New Mexico
|City of Santa Fe|
|La Villa Real de la Santa Fé de San Francisco de Asís|
|Nickname(s): The City Different|
|Santa Fe County, New Mexico|
|County||Santa Fe County|
|• Mayor||David Coss|
|• Capital city||37.4 sq mi (96.9 km2)|
|• Land||37.3 sq mi (96.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||7,260 ft (2,134 m)|
|Population (2010 )|
|• Capital city||67,947|
|• Density||1,927/sq mi (744/km2)|
144,170 (Santa Fe MSA) |
184,416 (Santa Fe-Espanola CSA)
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0936823|
Santa Fe (how to say: /ˌsæntəˈfeɪ/; Tewa: Ogha Po'oge, Navajo: Yootó) is the capital of the U.S. state of New Mexico. It is thefourth-largest city in the state. It is the seat of Santa Fe County. Santa Fe (literally 'holy faith' in Spanish) had a population of 67,947 in the 2010 census. It is the principal city of the Santa Fe, New Mexico Metropolitan Statistical Area which encompasses all of Santa Fe County and is part of the larger Santa Fe-Española Combined Statistical Area. The city's full name when founded was "La Villa Real de la Santa Fé de San Francisco de Asís" ("The Royal Town of the Holy Faith of St. Francis of Assisi").
In 1912, New Mexico became the United States of America's 47th state, with Santa Fe as its capital.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 37.4 square miles (96.9 km2), of which, 37.3 square miles (96.7 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km2) of it (0.21%) is water.
Santa Fe is at 7,199 feet (2134 m) above sea level, making it the highest state capital in the United States.
Santa Fe has many world-class museums. Many are around the historic downtown Plaza or close by:
- New Mexico Museum of Art – collections of Southwestern Arts.
- Institute of American Indian Arts Museum – Native American arts with political aspects.
- Georgia O'Keeffe Museum – devoted to the work of O'Keeffe and others whom she influenced.
- New Mexico History Museum – behind the historic Palace of the Governors, showcasing the history of New Mexico.
- Site Santa Fe – A contemporary art space, at 1606 Paseo De Peralta. Known as the forefront for contemporary art presentation in the Southwest.
Others are on Museum Hill:
- Museum of International Folk Art – showcasing folk arts from around the world.
- Museum of Indian Arts and Culture – exhibits Native American arts.
- Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian – Native American art and history.
- Museum of Spanish Colonial Art – Tradition arts from the Spanish-colonial era to contemporary times.
Top 5 Largest Cities in New Mexico by population