kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|City of Olympia|
|Incorporated||January 28, 1859|
|• Type||Council/City Manager|
|• Mayor||Cheryl Selby (D)|
|• City||19.68 sq mi (50.97 km2)|
|• Land||17.82 sq mi (46.15 km2)|
|• Water||1.86 sq mi (4.82 km2)|
|Elevation||95 ft (29 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||1st in Thurston County|
24th in Washington
750th in the United States
|• Density||2,608.2/sq mi (1,007.0/km2)|
|• Urban||176,617 (US: 195th|
|• Metro||269,536 (US: 177th|
|• Summer (DST)||Pacific|
|GNIS feature ID||1533353|
Olympia is the capital city of the state of Washington, in the United States of America. It became a city on January 28, 1859. As of the 2010 census, it has 46,478 people living in it. The people of Olympia are called Olympians. Olympia is the county seat of Thurston County.
Olympia is located at 47°2'33" North, 122°53'35" West (47.042418, -122.893077).
Olympia is on the water (Puget Sound) and close to dark green forests and high mountains (the Olympic Mountains and Mount Rainier). On most days of the year the sky is full of clouds and it rains, but sunny weather is more common in July, August, and September.
Many people in Olympia work for the government of the State of Washington. Every year, state representatives and state senators come to Olympia to make laws and to pass a budget for the state government.
Olympia is the home of the Olympia Farmers Market and The Evergreen State College.
Every April, the people of Olympia celebrate the "Procession of the Species,". It is a parade. Many Olympians, of all ages, dress up to look like animals, birds, fish, plants, and even insects, and walk in the parade. Some also play drums or dance the samba.
- "National 2010 urban area file containing a list of all urbanized areas and urban clusters (including Puerto Rico and the Island Areas) sorted by UACE code" (TXT). United States Census Bureau, Geography Division. Archived from the original on May 16, 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120516110036/http://www2.census.gov/geo/ua/ua_list_all.txt. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on October 19, 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20161019182931/https://www.census.gov/popest/data/cities/totals/2015/SUB-EST2015-3.html. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Olympia (city) Quick Facts from the U.S. Census Bureau". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/53/5351300.html. Retrieved November 26, 2011.
- City of Olympia
- State of Washington
- The Evergreen State College
- Procession of the Species
- Photography of Olympia