kidzsearch.com > wiki
|State of Maryland|
|Nickname(s): Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Text' not found.|
|Motto(s): Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Text' not found.|
|Anthem: "Maryland, My Maryland"|
|Before statehood||Province of Maryland|
|Admitted to the Union||April 28, 1788 (7th)|
|Largest metro||Baltimore-Washington Metro Area|
|• Governor||Larry Hogan (R)|
|• Lieutenant Governor||Boyd Rutherford (R)|
|Legislature||General Assembly of Maryland|
|• Upper house||Senate of Maryland|
|• Lower house||House of Delegates of Maryland|
|U.S. senators||Ben Cardin (D) |
Chris Van Hollen (D)
|U.S. House delegation||7 Democrats |
1 Republican (list)
|• Total||12,407 sq mi (32,133 km2)|
|• Land||9,776 sq mi (25,314 km2)|
|• Water||2,633 sq mi (6,819 km2) 21%|
|Elevation||350 ft (110 m)|
|Highest elevation||3,360 ft (1,024 m)|
|Lowest elevation||0 ft (0 m)|
|• Density||619/sq mi (238/km2)|
|• Density rank||5th|
|• Median household income||$80,776 (2,017)|
|• Income rank||2nd|
|Demonym(s)||Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Text' not found.|
|• Official language||None (English, de facto)|
|Time zone||UTC−05:00 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−04:00 (EDT)|
|Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Text' not found.|
|ISO 3166 code||US-MD|
|Latitude||37° 53′ N to 39° 43′ N|
|Longitude||75° 03′ W to 79° 29′ W|
|The Flag of Maryland.|
|The Seal of Maryland.|
|Butterfly||Baltimore checkerspot butterfly|
|Mammal(s)|| Calico cat |
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
|Food|| Blue crab |
Smith Island Cake
|Fossil||Ecphora gardnerae gardnerae|
|Gemstone||Patuxent River stone|
|Poem||"Maryland, My Maryland" by James Ryder Randall (1861, adopted 1939)|
|Slogan(s)||Maryland of Opportunity|
|Sport|| Jousting |
|Released in 2000|
|Lists of United States state insignia|
The governor of Maryland is Larry Hogan. He was elected in the 2014 election. Hogan was re-elected during the 2018 election.
The state bird is the Baltimore Oriole. The state flower is the Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta). The state reptile is the diamondback terrapin. The state crustacean is the blue crab. The state motto is Fatti maschii, parole femine, which is Italian for "Manly deeds, womanly words". Maryland is the only state with a motto in Italian.
Maryland has many places important to the American Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the American Civil War. One of these places is Fort McHenry, which defended against the British Empire during the War of 1812. Another place is the Antietam National Battlefield, where the Battle of Antietam took place in 1862 during the American Civil War.
Silver Spring, Bethesda, Gaithersburg, Rockville, Frederick, Hagerstown, Cumberland, Salisbury, Greenbelt are other cities.
Maryland was founded by English Catholic settlers who wanted a place where they could freely practice Catholicism. It was the seventh state to join the US. Maryland is known as the "Old Line State," named after the Maryland Line, a regiment that fought in the American Revolution. Maryland surrounds most of the Chesapeake Bay, and the state is known for its Crabs and Crab Cakes.
Baltimore, the largest city in Maryland, is a major city that is home to the National Aquarium, Fort McHenry, and the Camden Yards baseball park. Annapolis is very famous for being the home of the United States Naval Academy, one of the flagship service academies in the United States.
Maryland was home to several different Indian tribes when English settlers arrived in the seventeenth century. The Algonquian-speaking Indians of the Chesapeake Bay and coastal areas included the Nanticoke, Piscataway, Assateagues and Pocomoke Indians. Iroquois-speaking groups such as the Susquehannocks lived in the Piedmont and mountains.
- "Maryland's quality of life ranks high compared to other states". FindArticles.com (The Daily Record (Baltimore)). December 11, 2004. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4183/is_20041211/ai_n10064724/. Retrieved June 4, 2009. Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Category handler/data' not found.Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Category handler/data' not found.[dead link]
- "Maryland Facts". Maryland Office of Tourism. http://www.visitmaryland.org/Students/Pages/MarylandFacts.aspx. Retrieved June 2, 2009.
- "Senate Bill 88". Archived from the original on September 29, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170929054058/http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2017RS/bills/sb/sb0088T.pdf.
- "Great Seal of Maryland (reverse)". Maryland State Archives. http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/01glance/html/symbols/reverse.html. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- Marsh 2011, p. 4.
- "Elevations and Distances in the United States". United States Geological Survey. 2001. Archived from the original on October 15, 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20111015012701/http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/booklets/elvadist/elvadist.html. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Elevation adjusted to North American Vertical Datum of 1988.
- "Median Annual Household Income". http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/median-annual-income/?currentTimeframe=0. Retrieved April 8, 2019.
- Official website
- Maryland Office of Tourism
- Energy Data & Statistics for Maryland
- USGS real-time, geographic, and other scientific resources of Maryland
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Catholic Encyclopedia article
- Maryland State Facts from USDA
- Maryland at the Open Directory Project
- Geographic data related to Maryland at OpenStreetMap
- Maryland State Archives: Special Collections, Map Collections
- Maryland Historical Society: County Maps
- The Huntingfield Map Collection
|List of U.S. states by date of statehood
Ratified Constitution on April 28, 1788 (7th)
| Succeeded by|
|Maryland: Outline • Index|
|Washington, D.C. • Virginia|| Chesapeake Bay|
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 492: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).