kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Nickname(s): Crossroads of the Pacific, Sheltered Bay|
|Honolulu County and the state of Hawaii|
|• CDP||105 sq mi (272.1 km2)|
|• Land||85.7 sq mi (222.0 km2)|
|• Water||19.3 sq mi (50.1 km2)|
|Elevation||0 ft (Sea Level 0 m)|
|• Estimate (July 2006)||377,357|
|Time zone||Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time (UTC-10)|
|GNIS feature ID||0366212|
Honolulu means "sheltered harbor" in the Hawaiian language. No one knows for sure when Honolulu was first settled or when the name was first used.
Honolulu harbor was called Kulolia before foreigners came. The first foreigner was Captain William Brown of the English ship Butterworth, in 1794. He named the harbor Fair Haven. Other foreign captains started calling it Brown's Harbor. The name Honolulu was used some time after that.
Kamehameha III made Honolulu the capital city of the Kingdom of Hawaii in 1850. It was also the capital of the Republic of Hawaii and the Territory of Hawaii. It stayed the capital when Hawaii became a state in 1959.
- Ferdinand Marcos, President of the Philippines from 1965 to 1986, died in Honolulu
- Bruno Mars, singer, was born in Honolulu
- Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States, was born in Honolulu
- Nicole Scherzinger, singer, was born in Honolulu
- Jason Momoa, Actor currently lives in Honolulu