kidzsearch.com > wikiHonolulu Explore:web images videos games
|City and County of Honolulu|
|State||Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:CountryData' not found.|
|Incorporated||April 30, 1907|
|• Mayor||Kirk Caldwell (D)|
|• City||68.4 sq mi (177.2 km2)|
|• Land||60.5 sq mi (156.7 km2)|
|• Water||7.9 sq mi (20.5 km2)|
|Elevation||19 ft (6 m)|
|• City||337,256 (55th)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||5,791/sq mi (2,236.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−10 (Hawaiian (HST))|
|GNIS feature ID||366212|
Honolulu means "sheltered harbor" in the Hawaiian language. No one knows for sure when Honolulu was first settled or when the name was first used.
Honolulu harbor was called Kulolia before foreigners came. The first foreigner was Captain William Brown of the English ship Butterworth, in 1794. He named the harbor Fair Haven. Other foreign captains is started calling it Brown's Harbor. The name Honolulu was used some time after that.
Kamehameha III made Honolulu the capital city of the Kingdom of Hawaii in 1850. It was also the capital of the Republic of Hawaii and the Territory of Hawaii. It stayed the capital when Hawaii became a state in 1959.
- Ferdinand Marcos, President of the Philippines from 1965 to 1986, died in Honolulu
- Bruno Mars, singer, was born in Honolulu
- Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States, was born in Honolulu
- Nicole Scherzinger, singer, was born in Honolulu
- Jason Momoa, Actor currently lives in Honolulu
- Honolulu And Kapolei Share City Lights 2005, Honolulu, HI, USA: Honolulu County, Hawaii, November 29, 2005, archived from the original on November 5, 2013, https://web.archive.org/web/20131105002114/http://www1.honolulu.gov/refs/csd/publiccom/honnews05/honoluluandkapoleisharecitylights2005.htm, retrieved June 30, 2012
- "About the City, Official Website of the City and County of Honolulu". City and County of Honolulu. City and County of Honolulu. April 24, 2012. http://www1.honolulu.gov/cchnl.htm. Retrieved April 24, 2012.
- "Geographic Ientifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Urban Honolulu CDP, Hawaii". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved May 25, 2012.
- "American FactFinder – Results". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on April 17, 2016. https://www.webcitation.org/6gpGlyhlr?url=http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk. Retrieved April 16, 2016.
- "Honolulu". United States Geological Survey. https://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:366212.