kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Carson City, Nevada
|Consolidated Municipality of Carson City|
Location in Nevada
|• Mayor||Bob Crowell (2008 - )|
|• State Senator||James Settelmeyer (R)|
|• State Assemblyman||Pete Livermore (R)|
|• U.S. Representative||Mark Amodei (R)|
|• Total||168 sq mi (435 km2)|
|• Land||156 sq mi (403 km2)|
|• Water||12 sq mi (32 km2) 7.91%|
|Elevation||4,802 ft (1,463 m)|
|• Density||370/sq mi (141/km2)|
Settlers who lived present-day Carson City named the area "Washoe", after the Washoe Native Americans who lived there. John C. Frémont and his party of explorers were the first European Americans to visit the Carson City area in 1843. Frémont named a river flowing through the valley Carson River for Christopher "Kit" Carson, who served as a scout on Frémont's expedition.
When Nevada became a state in 1864 during the Civil War, Carson City was confirmed as Nevada's permanent capital. Abraham Curry, the founder of Carson City, reserved an area equivalent to four city blocks (10 acres or 4.04 ha) at the center of the town for the future state capitol building. When the Capitol building was built ten years later, it was located there. The fourth session of the state legislature met in the still-incomplete building at the beginning of 1871. Construction was completed by May 1, 1871.
Carson City's first bus system, called Jump Around Carson, opened in October 2005. There is almost no ground public transportation to other cities. Passenger train service stopped in 1948. Greyhound Lines stopped bus service there in 2006. Amtrak stopped their bus to Sacramento in 2008. Greyhound and Amtrak have busses to Reno, Monday to Friday.
- "Carson City, Nevada". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/32/32510.html. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- Bayer, C.W. (1995). Profits, plots & lynching; the creation of Nevada Territory. Carson, City NV: Purple Mountain Press. p. 2. .
- "National Park Service: Three Historic Cities". Travel Nevada.com. http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/travel/nevada/carson.htm. Retrieved 6-2-2010.
- "Getting here". Carson City Convention and Visitors Bureau. http://www.visitcarsoncity.com/aboutus/gettinghere.php. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- Staff Writer. "Jump Around Carson". Jump Around Carson. http://www.carson-city.nv.us/Index.aspx?page=1436.
- "About JAC". http://www.carson.org/Index.aspx?page=1412. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- Staff Writer. "Carson City Airport". Carson City Airport. http://www.carsoncity-airport.com/Home.shtml. Retrieved 6-3-2010.