kidzsearch.com > wiki
EMpuma Koloni (Xhosa)
Location of the Eastern Cape in South Africa
|Established||27 April 1994|
|Largest city||Port Elizabeth|
|• Type||Parliamentary system|
|• Premier||Oscar Mabuyane (ANC)|
|• Total||168,966 km2 (65,238 sq mi)|
|Area rank||2nd in South Africa|
|Highest elevation||3,019 m (9,905 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||3rd in South Africa|
|• Density||38.83653/km2 (100.58615/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||6th in South Africa|
|• Black African||86.3%|
|• Indian or Asian||0.4%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
|ISO 3166 code||ZA-EC|
The Eastern Cape is a province of South Africa. Its capital is Bhisho. Its two largest cities are Port Elizabeth and East London. It was formed in 1994. It was the home of the 1820 settlers. The central and eastern part of the province is the traditional home of the Xhosa people.
This region is the birthplace of many famous South African politicians, such as Nelson Mandela, Oliver Tambo, Walter Sisulu, Govan Mbeki, Raymond Mhlaba, Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe, Chris Hani, Thabo Mbeki, Steve Biko and Charles Coghlan.
- Census 2011: Census in brief. Pretoria: Statistics South Africa. 2012. . http://www.statssa.gov.za/Census2011/Products/Census_2011_Census_in_brief.pdf.
- (14 May 2013) Mid-year population estimates, 2013 . Statistics South Africa, 3. Report. Retrieved on 15 May 2013.
- Eastern Cape National Government information
- Eastern Cape Provincial Government
- Eastern Cape Socio-Economic Consultative Council
- Eastern Cape Tourism Board
- Eastern Cape Development Corporation