kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Edna Parker in 2007 at age 114
|Born||April 20, 1893|
|Died||November 26, 2008 (aged 115)|
Heritage House Convalescent Center, Shelbyville, Indiana
|Cause of death||Natural causes|
|Known for||Oldest recognized person in the world (August 13, 2007 – November 26, 2008)|
|Spouse(s)||Earl Parker (m. 1913-1939, his death)|
Edna Ruth Scott Parker (April 20, 1893 – November 26, 2008) was an American woman who was the oldest living documented person from the death of Yone Minagawa on August 13, 2007 until November 26, 2008.
Parker was born on a farm in Morgan County, Indiana. She got a teaching certificate at Franklin College, and was a teacher for a few years until she married Earl Parker, who was her next door neighbor. He died on February 23, 1939. They had two sons, Clifford and Earl Jr.,, both of whom died before her.
After Earl's death, Parker lived by herself on a farm on Blueridge Road. She stayed there until she was 100, when she moved in to live with one of her sons. On a winter night, she was alone while her son and his wife went to a basketball game. When they came back, they found her in the back yard, in poor health, in the snow, and could only be seen as she had been wearing a red sweater that she liked a lot. Her family feared that she would die, but her health got much better. After that, the family thought that she needed to move to a nursing home.
Parker lived at Heritage House Convalescent Center, a retirement home in Shelbyville, Indiana. She remained in good health and was still able to walk. In April 2007, at age 114, she met with 113-year-old Bertha Fry, who was at the time the second-oldest person living in Indiana and the fifth-oldest living person. This set the highest total age for a meeting of two people.
Parker reached the age of 115 on April 20, 2008. There were two birthday parties held, the first of which was public, and the second private. The public one was celebrated on April 18, 2008, and the private on April 20. At both parties, one hundred fifteen balloons of many colors floated in the air, because she liked to see balloons in the air. This was Parker's final year, as she lived until November 26 of that year at age 115 years, 220 days.
- Governor meets with country's two oldest, both Hoosiers
- Source Citation: Title: Shelby County, Indiana, Index To Marriage Record 1856 - 1920 Inclusive Vol, W. P. A. Original Record Located: County Clerk's O; Book: 21;Page: 243
- 1920 US Census; Place: Needham, Johnson, Indiana; Roll: T625_442; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 138; Image: 133.
- Indiana Woman Now World's Oldest Person. August 14, 2007. http://www.theindychannel.com/family/13886143/detail.html.
- Denied:1up! Software
|Oldest Recognized Living Person
August 13, 2007 – November 26, 2008
Maria de Jesus
- "Oldest Hoosier celebrates her 113th birthday, feels "lucky"". Chicago Sun-Times. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20060421/ai_n16153086. (April 21, 2006)
- "Living history: Edna Parker shares memories as she approaches 113". The Shelbyville News. http://www.shelbynews.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=37713&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=93&S=1. (April 19, 2006)
- Shelbyville woman becomes oldest person in the world. http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070814/LOCAL0602/708140399.
- "Midlaner's grandmother is world's oldest person". Midland Daily News. http://www.ourmidland.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18720101&BRD=2289&PAG=461&dept_id=472542&rfi=6. (August 17, 2007)
- ""Oceans of Time": Local Man's Great-Grandmother is World's Oldest Person". Montgomery Advertiser. http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070827/LIFESTYLE/708250327/1005. (August 27, 2007)
- "Edna ready for No. 115". The Shelbyville News. http://www.shelbynews.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=93&ArticleID=55039&TM=54564.66. (April 16, 2008)