kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Ethnic groups of the United States
There are many different ethnic groups in the United States. Most people in the United States have ancestors who came from somewhere else, often from multiple places. Some people say their ancestry is "American"; often these are people from the Southern United States whose families have been living in America since before the American Revolution.
There are several races in the United States:
- White is the most common race in the United States. It usually refers to people from Europe or the Middle East (such as Germany, England and Italy)
- Black or African-American refers to people from most parts of Africa. Most of these people came to the United States or the West Indies as slaves.
- Asian refers to people from countries in Asia (such as China, Japan or the Philippines).
- Native American or American Indian refers to people who are part of Native American groups that lived in the U.S. for thousands of years. These are the only people who did not come to the United States since Columbus went to the New World
- Some other race: Hispanic Americans, such as Mexican, are often of this category. Hispanics can also be any other the other races listed above.
Here are the top ethnic group in the United States. Since many Asian and Hispanic groups are classified differently, most of the groups listed are white. 
- The most common is German-American. At least 42.8 million Americans say they are this. Many people came to the U.S. from Germany in the 19th and early 20th century. German American is the most common ethnic group in over half the states. The most number of Germans are found in the Midwest, West, and Pennsylvania.
- The fourth most common group is English.