kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Available in||Multilingual (166; as of 16 July 2020[ref]|
|Coordinates||Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 492: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|
|Area served||United States (2004–present)|
Worldwide, except blocking countries (2005–present)
|Alexa rank||4 (January 2020[update])|
|Users||2.50 billion monthly active users (December 2019[update]|
|Launched||February 4, 2004|
|Written in||C++, PHP (as HHVM), D|
Facebook (sometimes shortened to FB) is a social networking service and website started in February 2004. It was built by Mark Zuckerberg. It is owned by Meta, Inc. As of September 2012[update], Facebook has over one billion active users. Users may make a personal profile, add other users as friends, and send messages. Facebook users must register before using the site. The name of the service comes from the name for the book given to students at the start of the school year by some universities in the United States. These books help students get to know each other better. Facebook allows any users who are at least 13 years old to become users of the website.
Facebook was started by Mark Zuckerberg with his college roommates and fellow computer science students Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes. The website's membership was only for Harvard students at first. Later it included other colleges in the Boston area, the Ivy League, and Stanford University. It eventually opened for students at other universities. After that, it opened to high school students, and, finally, to anyone aged 13 and over. Based on ConsumersReports.org in May 2011, there are 7.5 million children under 13 with accounts. This breaks the website's rules.
A January 2009 Compete.com study ranked Facebook as the most used social networking service by worldwide monthly active users. Entertainment Weekly put the site on its end-of-the-decade "best-of" list. It said, "How on earth did we stalk our exes, remember our co-workers birthdays, bug our friends, and play a rousing game of Scrabulous before Facebook?" Quantcast estimates Facebook had 138.9 million monthly different U.S. visitors in May 2011. According to Social Media Today, in April 2010 about 41.6% of the U.S. population had a Facebook account. Facebook's growth started to slow down in some areas. The site lost 7 million active users in the United States and Canada in May 2011 relative to previous statistics.
Facebook has been involved in many controversies over privacy. Some of these controversies have been about people being able to see personal information that other people post, and others are about companies and advertisers being able to see users' personal information. Facebook has sent ads to people based on the persons gender, age, income, national origin and sexual orientation.
Research published in the journal PLOS ONE has shown that Facebook may be responsible for spreading unhappiness through society as well as keeping people connected. Scientists found that the more time people spent on Facebook over a two-week period, the worse they subsequently felt. "On the surface, Facebook provides an invaluable resource for fulfilling the basic human need for social connection. Rather than enhancing well-being, however, these findings suggest that Facebook may undermine it."
Facebook Gaming or fb.gg is Facebook's take on gaming livestreams where gamers and fans interact. Facebook launched it as a tab on the Facebook app and a standalone app. It also has an In-stream Rewards feature where viewers are gifted in-game rewards while watching streams with Mobile Legends: Bang Bang being a part of pioneering the feature as mentioned by Jack Li, a Facebook Gaming representative, on Moonton Epicon held last July 18, 2019.
On April 20, 2020 Facebook launched its gaming app in Playstore, named as Facebook Gaming. This app was actually planned to release in June 2020, but Facebook preponed on witnessing the community demand.
- "Select your language". Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/language.php.
- "facebook.com Competitive Analysis, Marketing Mix and Traffic". https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/facebook.com.
- "Our History". https://newsroom.fb.com/company-info/.
- "Facebook.com Traffic, Demographics and Competitors - Alexa". https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/facebook.com.
- Clarke, Gavin (February 2, 2010). "Facebook re-write takes PHP to an enterprise past". Situation Publishing. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/02/facebook_hiphop_unveiled/.
- Bridgwater, Adrian (October 16, 2013). "Facebook Adopts D Language". Dr Dobb's (San Francisco). http://www.drdobbs.com/mobile/facebook-adopts-d-language/240162694.
- Levin, Sam (July 3, 2018). "Is Facebook a publisher? In public it says no, but in court it says yes". https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/02/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-platform-publisher-lawsuit.
- Eldon, Eric (December 18, 2008). "2008 Growth Puts Facebook In Better Position to Make Money". VentureBeat (San Francisco). https://venturebeat.com/2008/12/18/2008-growth-puts-facebook-in-better-position-to-make-money/. Retrieved December 19, 2008.
- "Facebook Tops Billion-User Mark". The Wall Street Journal (Dow Jones). October 4, 2012. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443635404578036164027386112.html. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- Carlson, Nicholas (March 5, 2010). "At Last – The Full Story Of How Facebook Was Founded". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/how-facebook-was-founded-2010-3#we-can-talk-about-that-after-i-get-all-the-basic-functionality-up-tomorrow-night-1.
- "Five million Facebook users are 10 or younger". ConsumerReports.org. May 10, 2011. http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/05/five-million-facebook-users-are-10-or-younger.html. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- Kazeniac, Andy (February 9, 2009). "Social Networks: Facebook Takes Over Top Spot, Twitter Climbs". Compete Pulse blog. http://blog.compete.com/2009/02/09/facebook-myspace-twitter-social-network/. Retrieved February 17, 2009.
- Geier, Thom (December 11, 2009). Jensen, Jeff; Jordan, Tina; Lyons, Margaret; Markovitz, Adam; et al.. "THE 100 Greatest Movies, TV Shows, Albums, Books, Characters, Scenes, Episodes, Songs, Dresses, Music Videos, and Trends that entertained us over the 10 Years". Entertainment Weekly (New York) ((1079/1080):74-84).
- "facebook.com – Quantcast Audience Profile". Quantcast.com. April 29, 2011. http://www.quantcast.com/facebook.com.
- "Is Facebook growth stalling in North America?". CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.media/06/13/facebook.dropping.america/index.html.
- "Facebook Privacy: 6 Years of Controversy [INFOGRAPHIC"]. mashable.com. http://mashable.com/2010/08/25/facebook-privacy-infographic/.
- Facebook to make jobs, credit advertisements searchable for all users
- "Not happy: Facebook linked to a decline in wellbeing". The Sydney Morning Herald: 6. August 16, 2013.
- Kross, Ethan (August 14, 2013). Philippe Verduyn, Emre Demiralp, Jiyoung Park, David Seungjae Lee, Natalie Lin, Holly Shablack, John Jonides, Oscar Ybarra. "Facebook Use Predicts Declines in Subjective Well-Being in Young Adults". PLOS ONE. . http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0069841. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "Facebook launches Fb.gg gaming video hub to compete with Twitch" (in en-US). http://social.techcrunch.com/2018/06/07/facebook-launches-fb-gg-gaming-video-hub-to-compete-with-twitch/.
- "Facebook is expected to launch its game-streaming platform and Twitch competitor at E3 2018- Technology News, Firstpost". 2018-06-08. https://www.firstpost.com/tech/gaming/facebook-is-planning-to-take-on-twitch-with-its-new-gaming-section-and-monetisation-opportunities-for-streamers-4501793.html.
- "Facebook launching new Gaming Tab" (in en). https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-14-facebook-announces-new-gaming-tab.
- Perez, Sarah (March 15, 2019). "In a challenge to Twitch and YouTube, Facebook adds ‘Gaming’ to its main navigation". https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/14/in-a-challenge-to-twitch-and-youtube-facebook-adds-gaming-to-its-main-navigation/.
- "New Game, Major Update - World Championship and more revealed in MOONTON Epicon 2019: The Future Begins Global Conference". July 24, 2019. https://sports.abs-cbn.com/esports/news/2019/07/24/world-championship-revealed-moonton-epicon-2019-59372.
- Reyes, Mariel Soto. "Twitch just lost another star streamer, this time to Facebook Gaming". https://www.businessinsider.com/twitch-loses-star-streamer-to-facebook-gaming-2019-11.
- Barrabi, Thomas (2020-02-14). "Ronda Rousey lands Facebook Gaming streaming deal" (in en-US). https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/ronda-rousey-facebook-gaming-stream.
- "Facebook launched a dedicated app ‘Facebook Gaming’ to take on Twitch and YouTube" (in en-US). https://www.androidical.com/facebook-launch-dedicated-facebook-gaming-app/.
- "Facebook to Introduce an App for Gaming" (in en-US). https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/19/technology/facebook-app-gaming.html/.