kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Google Maps (application)
|Initial release||December 13, 2012|
|Stable release||2.0 / July 16, 2013|
|Operating system||iOS 6.0 and later|
|Available in||English, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese|
Google Maps is a mobile application for mapping that was released by Google for Android in 2008. An iOS version was released on December 13, 2012. The iOS version was released as an alternative to Apple's built-in maps application, which was released with iOS 6.
Google Maps has many features, including turn-by-turn navigation, street view, and public transit information. The application's user interface was completely redesigned. The original version did not support the iPad, but Google added iPad support with version 2.0.
The built-in maps application on iOS used Google Maps until iOS 6. With the release of the first iOS 6 beta in June 2012, Apple announced that they had created their own map service. iOS 6 was released on September 19, 2012 with a new maps application that uses map data by Apple. Google decided to create its own maps application after Apple's built-in maps application was criticized a lot.
Google Maps was launched on the iOS App Store on December 13, 2012. After only two days, the application had been downloaded over 10 million times. It was initially reported shortly after the application was released that the number of iOS upgrades to iOS 6 increased by as much as 30%. Later reports suggested that the increase was actually because of the iPhone 5's release in China.
The application has had mostly favorable reviews from critics. USA Today said, "The reemergence in the middle of the night of a Google Maps app for the iPhone is like the return of an old friend. Only your friend, who’d gone missing for three months, comes back looking better than ever." CNET, called it "the king of maps" and said, "With its iOS Maps app, Google sets the standard for what mobile navigation should be and more." Bree Fowler of the Associated Press compared Google's and Apple's map applications. He said, "The one clear advantage that Apple has is style. Like Apple devices, the maps are clean and clear and have a fun, pretty element to them, especially in 3-D. But when it comes down to depth and information, Google still reigns superior and will no doubt be welcomed back by its fans." Gizmodo gave it a "gizrank" of 4.5 stars. in 2013 Google even admitted that the iPhone and iPod touch version of its mapping software was more advanced than the version on its own Android mobile phone and tablet operating system.
- "Google releases map app for iPhone as alternative to Apple’s mixed-up navigation system". The Washington Post. December 13, 2012. https://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-12-13/business/35789749_1_google-maps-iphone-app-iphone-owners. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Musil, Steven. "Google Maps returns to iOS as an app after Apple's removal". CNet. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57558901-37/google-maps-returns-to-ios-as-an-app-after-apples-removal/. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Mossberg, Walter (December 18, 2012). "Google Maps for iPhone Returns Better Than Ever". The Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324907204578187360502871352.html. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Rodriguez, Salvador (December 13, 2012). "Google Maps returns to iPhone; iPad app coming soon". Los Angeles Times. http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-maps-iphone-ipad-20121212,0,3884968.story. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Fingas, Jon (July 16, 2013). "Google Maps 2.0 for iOS starts rolling out with iPad support, indoor maps (update: offline maps too)". Engadget. https://www.engadget.com/2013/07/16/google-maps-2-for-ios/. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Pogue, David (June 27, 2007). "The iPhone Matches Most of Its Hype". The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/technology/circuits/27pogue.html?pagewanted=all. Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- Gates, Sara (June 11, 2012). "Apple Maps App Officially Debuts, Google Maps Dropped". Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/11/apple-debuts-maps-app_n_1587726.html?ref=technology. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Brian X. Chen and Nick Wingfield (September 19, 2012). "iOS 6 Leaves Out Google's Mapping Data". The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/technology/apple-ios-6-leaves-out-googles-maps.html. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Reisinger, Don (September 21, 2012). "Google homes in on Maps app for iOS 6, report says". CNet. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57517561-37/google-homes-in-on-maps-app-for-ios-6-report-says/. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Allsopp, Ashleigh (September 1, 2012). "Apple's iOS 6 Maps app fails to impress, users want Google Maps back". Macworld. http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3382583&pagtype=allchandate. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- Efrati, Amir (December 13, 2012). "Google Releases Map App for iPhone". The Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323981504578176353684580958.html. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Keizer, Gregg (December 18, 2012). "Google Maps snares 10M downloads on iOS App Store". Computer World. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9234837/Google_Maps_snares_10M_downloads_on_iOS_App_Store. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Kerr, Dara (December 18, 2012). "iOS 6 adoption surges after release of Google Maps app". CNet. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57559932-37/ios-6-adoption-surges-after-release-of-google-maps-app/. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Musil, Steven (December 20, 2012). "Big iOS 6 uptick linked to China launch, instead of Google Maps". CNet. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57560367-37/big-ios-6-uptick-linked-to-china-launch-instead-of-google-maps/. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Baig: Google Maps app - welcome return of an old friend". USA Today. December 13, 2012. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2012/12/13/baig-quick-spin-google-maps-for-iphone/1767081/. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "The king of maps is back and better than ever". CNet. December 13, 2012. http://reviews.cnet.com/software/google-maps-ios/4505-3513_7-35558172.html. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Fowler, Bree (Dec 16, 2012). "App review: Google Maps on iOS is back with a bang". Firstpost. http://www.firstpost.com/tech/app-review-google-maps-on-ios-is-back-with-a-bang-559232.html. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Diaz, Jesus (December 13, 2012). "Google Maps for iOS Review: Maps Done Right". Gizmodo. https://gizmodo.com/5968150/google-maps-for-ios-review-maps-done-right. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Pogue, David. "Maps App for iPhone Steers Right". https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/technology/personaltech/google-maps-app-for-iphone-goes-in-the-right-direction-review.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&. Retrieved 7 February 2013.