kidzsearch.com > wiki
Hyrrokkin or Saturn XLIV (provisional designation S/2004 S 19) is a moon of Saturn. Its discovery was announced by Scott S. Sheppard, David C. Jewitt, Jan Kleyna, and Brian G. Marsden on June 26, 2006, from observations taken between December 12, 2004, and April 30, 2006.
Hyrrokkin is about 8 kilometres in diameter, and orbits Saturn at an average distance of 18,168,300 km in 914.292 days, at an inclination of 153.3° to the ecliptic (154.3° to Saturn's equator), with an eccentricity of 0.3604.
It was named in April 2007 after Hyrrokkin, a giantess (female giant) from Norse mythology, who launched Hringhorni, Baldr's funeral ship. It was originally listed as being spelled Hyrokkin, but the spelling was later corrected.
- Institute for Astronomy Saturn Satellite Data
- IAUC 8727: Satellites of Saturn 2006 June 30 (discovery)
- MPEC 2006-M44: S/2004 S 19 2006 June 26 (discovery and ephemeris)
- IAUC 8826: Satellites of Jupiter and Saturn (subscription-only) 2007 April 5 (Naming the moon)
- IAUC 8860: Saturn XLIV (Hyrrokkin) (subscription-only) 2007 July 31 (correcting the name)