kidzsearch.com > wiki
Logo as of 1972
IBM Watson system in 2011
|Founded||June 16, 1911Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company) (as |
Endicott, New York, U.S.
|Founder||Charles Ranlett Flint|
(Chairwoman, President and CEO)
|Revenue||US $79.139 billion (2017)|
|US $11.400 billion (2017)|
|US $5.753 billion (2017)|
|Total assets||US $125.35 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||US $17.594 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
International Business Machines Corporation (IBM) is a multinational technology company from the United States that makes and sells software, computer hardware, infrastructure services, and consulting services. IBM is one of the biggest Information Technology companies in the world. IBM has had the most patents of any technology company for many years, and has made many important inventions and discoveries that have improved computers.
IBM began in 1911, it was called the "Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company". It was set up by a man named Charles Flint. There were no computers at that time, so IBM made other machines, such as typewriters. In 1924, the company changed its name to International Business Machines (IBM). In 1937, the company's Tabulating Machines were used by the United States government to record information about Americans, so they could make a new law called the Social Security Act.
During World War II, IBM made guns for the American army. During the 1960s and 1970s IBM dominated the mainframe computer market. IBM computers were used for American space exploration. From the 1980s starting in 1981 until 2005, IBM made personal computers. In 2005, IBM sold their personal computer manufacturing to a Chinese company called Lenovo. Today, IBM mostly makes software, and some powerful supercomputers.
- Certificate of Incorporation of Computing-Tabulating-Recording-Co, 14th day of June 1911
- "IBM Is Blowing Up Its Annual Performance Review". http://fortune.com/2016/02/01/ibm-employee-performance-reviews/. Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- "IBM Corporation Financials Statements". United States Securities and Exchange Commission. https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3AIBM&fstype=ii&ei=jDT6UOj7A4WQkAXViQE.
- "2016 IBM Annual Report" (PDF). IBM.com. https://www.ibm.com/annualreport/2016/images/downloads/IBM-Annual-Report-2016.pdf.
- Official website
- Samme Chittum (March 15, 2004). "In an I.B.M. Village, Pollution Fears Taint Relations With Neighbors". New York Times. https://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00E4DF1631F936A25750C0A9629C8B63&fta=y.
- IBM companies grouped at OpenCorporates