kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Born||April 5, 1929|
|Nationality||Norway, USA (1964)|
|Known for||Solid-state physics|
|Notable awards||Nobel Prize in Physics (1973)|
Ivar Giaever (Norwegian: Giæver; born April 5, 1929) is a Norwegian-American physicist. He shared the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1973 with Leo Esaki and Brian Josephson. They were awarded it for their discoveries about the tunnelling phenomena in solids. He is a professor at the University of Oslo.
- "Press Release: The 1973 Nobel Prize in Physics". Nobelprize.org. 27 June 2011. The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. 1973-10-23. http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1973/press.html. "The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the 1973 Nobel Prize in Physics to Leo Esaki, USA, Ivar Giaever, USA and Brian D Josephson, UK. The award is for their discoveries regarding tunneling phenomena in solids"
- Interview with Professor Ivar Giaever, from the Official Nobel Prize Website
- Biography and Bibliographic Resources, from the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, United States Department of Energy
- University of Oslo website about Ivar Giaever
- Applied Biophysics Website
- Family genealogy