kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
John Barry (composer)
John Barry at the Royal Albert Hall, London, September 2006
|Birth name||John Barry Prendergast|
3 November 1933|
York, Yorkshire, England
30 January 2011 (aged 77)|
Oyster Bay, New York
He composed the soundtracks for 11 of the James Bond movies between 1963 and 1987, and also arranged and performed the "James Bond Theme" to the first movie in the series, 1962's Dr. No. He wrote the scores to the award winning films Midnight Cowboy, Dances with Wolves and Out of Africa, in a career spanning over 50 years. In 1999 he was appointed OBE for services to music.
Barry was married four times. His first three marriages, to Barbara Pickard (1959–63), Jane Birkin (1965–68), and Jane Sidey (1969–78) all ended in divorce. He was married to Laurie from 1978 until his death. The couple had a son, Jonpatrick. Barry had three daughters, Suzanne (Susie) with his first wife, Barbara, Kate with his second wife, Jane, and Sian from a relationship with Ulla Larson between the first two marriages.
- The Sunday Times Magazine, The Sunday Times, 18 December 2011, page 64
- "'James Bond Theme' composer John Barry dies of heart attack". One India. 1 February 2010. http://entertainment.oneindia.in/hollywood/top-stories/scoop/2011/james-bond-composer-john-barry-dies-010211.html. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- "John Barry". The Daily Telegraph (London). 31 January 2010. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music-obituaries/8292892/John-Barry.html.. WebCitation archive.
- Burlingame, Jon. "John Barry Dies at 77", Variety, 31 January 2011. WebCitation archive.
- Lovece, Frank. "John Barry, Oscar-winning Composer, Dies", Newsday, 31 January 2011