kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Roberts at the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival premiere of Jesus Henry Christ
Julia Fiona Roberts
October 28, 1967
Smyrna, Georgia, U.S.
|Occupation||Actress, executive producer|
|Children||Phinnaeus Moder (son) Henry Daniel Moder (son) Hazel Moder (daughter)|
|Parent(s)||Betty Lou Bredemus (mother) Walter Grady Roberts (father)|
|Family||Eric Roberts (brother)|
Lisa Roberts Gillan (sister)
Emma Roberts (niece)
Julia Fiona Roberts (born October 28, 1967) is an American actress and producer. She is best known for her roles in the movies Steel Magnolias (1989), Pretty Woman (1990), Runaway Bride (1998) and Erin Brockovich (2000). Roberts regularly plays characters of attractive powerful women. She has been among People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in the world eight times.
It is commonly mistaken that Julia's birth name is "Julie". Roberts has said in interviews that "Julie" was a nickname given to her by classmates in elementary school, and she never took well to it. She reverted to her original name "Julia Roberts" when she discovered that a "Julie Roberts" was already registered with the Screen Actors Guild. Roberts originally wanted to be a veterinarian (an animal doctor), but later studied journalism. When her brother, Eric Roberts, achieved success in Hollywood, Julia decided to try acting. Her first breakthrough came when she played in two youth-oriented movies called Mystic Pizza and Satisfaction, both filmed in 1987. Roberts' sister Lisa Roberts Gillan and niece Emma Roberts are actresses.
Early life and family
Roberts was born in Smyrna, Georgia, to Betty Lou (née Bredemus) and Walter Grady Roberts She is of English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, German, and Swedish ancestry. Her father was a Baptist and her mother a Roman Catholic, and she was raised a Catholic. Her older brother, Eric Roberts, from whom she was estranged until 2004; sister Lisa Roberts Gillan; and niece Emma Roberts, are also actors.
Roberts' first marriage was to musician Lyle Lovett; they divorced. She and her husband Danny Moder have three children. She gave birth to twins, Hazel Patricia and Phinnaeus Walter, in 2004. In 2007, she gave birth to a son, Henry Daniel.
|Firehouse||1987||Babs||J. Christian Ingvordsen|| Uncredited|
|Satisfaction||1988||Daryle Shane||Joan Freeman|
|Mystic Pizza||1988||Daisy Arujo||Donald Petrie|
|Blood Red||1989||Marisa Collogero||Peter Masterson||Filmed in 1986|
|Steel Magnolias||1989||Shelby Eatenton Latcherie||Herbert Ross|
|Pretty Woman||1990||Vivian Ward||Garry Marshall|
|Flatliners||1990||Rachel Mannus||Joel Schumacher|
|Sleeping with the Enemy||1991||Laura Williams Burney/ Sara Waters||Joseph Ruben|
|Dying Young||1991||Hilary O'Neil||Joel Schumacher|
|Hook||1991||Tinker Bell||Steven Spielberg|
|The Player||1992||Herself||Robert Altman||Cameo|
|The Pelican Brief||1993||Darby Shaw||Alan J. Pakula|
|I Love Trouble||1994||Sabrina Peterson||Charles Shyer|
|Prêt-à-Porter||1994||Anne Eisenhower||Robert Altman|
|Something to Talk About||1995||Grace King Bichon||Lasse Hallström|
|Mary Reilly||1996||Mary Reilly||Stephen Frears|
|Michael Collins||1996||Kitty Kiernan||Neil Jordan|
|Everyone Says I Love You||1996||Von Sidell||Woody Allen|
|My Best Friend's Wedding||1997||Julianne Potter||P.J. Hogan|
|Conspiracy Theory||1997||Alice Sutton||Richard Donner|
|Stepmom||1998||Isabel Kelly||Chris Columbus||Also executive producer|
|Notting Hill||1999||Anna Scott||Roger Michell|
|Runaway Bride||1999||Maggie Carpenter||Garry Marshall|
|Erin Brockovich||2000||Erin Brockovich||Steven Soderbergh|
|The Mexican||2001||Samantha Barzel||Gore Verbinski|
|America's Sweethearts||2001||Kiki Harrison||Joe Roth|
|Ocean's Eleven||2001||Tess Ocean||Steven Soderbergh|
|Grand Champion||2002||Jolene||Barry Tubb|
|Full Frontal||2002||Francesca/Catherine||Steven Soderbergh|
|Confessions of a Dangerous Mind||2002||Patricia Watson||George Clooney|
|Mona Lisa Smile||2003||Katherine Ann Watson||Mike Newell|
|Tell Them Who You Are||2004||Herself||Mark Wexler|
|Closer||2004||Anna Cameron||Mike Nichols|
|Ocean's Twelve||2004||Tess Ocean||Steven Soderbergh|
|The Ant Bully||2006||Hova||John A. Davis||Voice only|
|Charlotte's Web||2006||Charlotte the Spider||Gary Winick||Voice only|
|Charlie Wilson's War||2007||Joanne Herring||Mike Nichols|
|Fireflies in the Garden||2008||Lisa Taylor||Dennis Lee|
|Kit Kittredge: An American Girl||2008||—||Patricia Rozema||Executive producer|
|Duplicity||2009||Claire Stenwick||Tony Gilroy|
|Valentine's Day||2010||Captain Kate Hazeltine||Garry Marshall|
|Eat Pray Love||2010||Elizabeth Gilbert||Ryan Murphy|
|Jesus Henry Christ||2011||—||Dennis Lee||Executive producer|
|Love, Wedding, Marriage||2011||Ava's Therapist||Dermot Mulroney||Voice only|
|Larry Crowne||2011||Mercedes Tainot||Tom Hanks|
|Mirror, Mirror||2012||Queen Clementianna||Tarsem Singh|
|August: Osage County||2013||Barbara Fordham||John Wells|
|Secret in Their Eyes||2015||Jess Cobb||Billy Ray|
|Mother's Day||2016||Miranda||Garry Marshall|
|Money Monster||2016||Patty Fenn||Jodie Foster|
|Smurfs: The Lost Village||2017||Smurf Willow||Kelly Asbury||Voice only|
|Wonder||2017||Isabel Pullman||Stephen Chbosky|
|Ben Is Back||2018||Holly Burns||Peter Hedges|
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
- "Danny Moder and Julia Roberts Wedding". Celebrity Bride Guide. July 4, 2004. http://www.celebritybrideguide.com/danny-moder-julia-roberts-wedding/. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Julia Roberts Biography (1967–)". FilmReference.com. http://www.filmreference.com/film/29/Julia-Roberts.html. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Julie "Julia" Fiona Roberts". Ancestry.com. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~battle/celeb/roberts.htm. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Taylor, Clarke (November 24, 1983). "Eric Roberts: His 'Star 80' Shines". Los Angeles Times. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/671674182.html?dids=671674182:671674182&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&type=historic&date=Nov+24%2C+1983&author=&pub=Los+Angeles+Times&desc=ERIC+ROBERTS%3A+HIS+'STAR+80'+SHINES&pqatl=google. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Julia Robert's Swedish ancestors" in Swedish, Genealogi.se
- "Julia Roberts Isn't a Roberts" February 27, 2011, Huffington Post
- Oh, Eunice (August 4, 2010). Why Julia Roberts Refuses to Get Botox. people.com. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20407807,00.html. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Talmadge, Eric (August 18, 2010). "'Eat Pray Love' star Julia Roberts happy as is". The Washington Times. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/aug/18/eat-pray-love-star-julia-roberts-happy-as-is/. Retrieved September 12, 2010. "Julia, who was raised a Catholic...".
- Thomson, Katherine (August 18, 2010). "Hindu Julia Roberts: I'm Done Talking About Religion". Huffington Post (USA). http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/18/hindu-julia-roberts-im-do_n_685893.html. Retrieved January 8, 2014.