kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Mac OS X Lion
|OS X v10.7 "Lion"|
|Part of the OS X family|
|Initial release||July 20, 2011info][|
|Stable release||10.7.5 Build 11G63 (October 4, 2012info]) [|
|Source model||Closed source (with open source components)|
|License||APSL and Apple EULA|
|Update method||Apple Software Update|
|Preceded by||Mac OS X v10.6 "Snow Leopard"|
|Succeeded by||OS X v10.8 "Mountain Lion"|
Mac OS X Lion is an operating system. It is the eighth major release of Apple's Mac OS X software line. It is made for Macintosh desktops, laptops, and servers. It was released on 20th July 2011 via the Mac App Store.
Lion was unveiled to the public at Apple's "Back to the Mac" event on October 20, 2010. It brings developments from iOS (Apple's mobile operating system for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad), such as the App Store, to the Mac.
New or changed features
Some new features were announced at the "Back to the Mac" keynote, however more features are expected to be revealed closer to the release date.
- Mac App Store — An application store similar to the iOS App Store. It will be made available to Macs running Mac OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard" on January 6, 2011. Like in iOS, it will provide many ways for shoppers to discover apps, one-click installation, and one-click updates of all or selected installed applications.
- Launchpad — An application launcher that presents an iOS-like icon grid of installed applications. Multiple pages and grouping apps in folders will be supported.
- Full-screen apps — Native, system-wide support for full-screen applications.
- Mission Control — Overview of running applications, putting together other Mac OS features including Exposé, Spaces, Dashboard, and full-screen apps.
- Multi-touch gestures — Similar to iOS, gestures performed using a multi-touch input device (e.g. Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad) will allow the user to scroll, swipe to different pages, and enter Mission Control.
- Auto save — Documents automatically save, so users will not have to save their work.
- Apps resume when launched — Applications resume in the same state when reopened.
- Autohiding Scrollbars — Scrollbars appear in the content area of the window and autohide when not scrolling (similar to iOS).
- Removal of "Aqua" UI — The "Aqua" look used in OS X since 2000 (first used in "iMovie 2") was replaced with a flatter, grey look.
- "About Safari 6 for OS X Lion". Apple Inc.. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5275. Retrieved 2012 July 27.
- "Apple seeds new 10.8.2, 10.7.5 builds to developers". MacNN. September 11, 2012. http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/09/11/new.12c50.build.includes.release.notes.may.come.tomorrow/. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- Apple - App Store - Buy, download, and install apps made for Mac
- AppleInsider Staff (20 October 2010). "Apple's new Mac App Store coming to Snow Leopard within 90 days". AppleInsider.com. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/10/20/apples_new_mac_app_store_coming_to_snow_leopard_within_90_days.html. Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Apple Insider Apple leaks new scroll bar UI details in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
|Wikinews has news related to this article: Apple unveils new MacBook Air laptops, iLife '11 software suite|