kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
Magnus is a name that means "great" in Latin. It was sometimes used as a first name by the Romans. The name spread with the Catholic Church, which spoke Latin. It became very common among the nobility in Scandinavia.
People with this name include:
Kings of Norway
- Magnus I of Norway (1024–1047)
- Magnus II of Norway (1048–1069)
- Magnus III of Norway (1073–1103)
- Magnus IV of Norway (c. 1115–1139)
- Magnus V of Norway (1156–1184)
- Magnus VI of Norway (1238–1280)
- Magnus VII of Norway (1316–1374)
Kings of Sweden
- Magnus I of Sweden (c. 1106–1134)
- Magnus II of Sweden (died 1161)
- Magnus III of Sweden (1240–1290)
- Magnus IV of Sweden (1316–1374), also Magnus VII of Norway
- Charlemagne, whose Latin name was "Carolus Magnus"
- Albertus Magnus, German theologian and philosopher
- Magnus Rosén, Swedish musician
- Magnus Carlsen, Norwegian chess player