kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Man of Steel (movie)
|Man of Steel|
|Superman, bearing the famous "S" shield on his traditional red and blue costume, is shown handcuffed and being escorted by soldiers toward the viewer down a dark hallway. The film's title and release date is written underneath.|
|Directed by||Zack Snyder|
|Produced by||Christopher Nolan|
|Screenplay by||David S. Goyer|
|Story by||Christopher Nolan |
David S. Goyer
|Music by||Hans Zimmer|
|Edited by||David Brenner|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|Country||United States, Canada, United Kingdom|
Man of Steel's red carpet premiere in the U.S. was attended by most of it's cast members in New York City on June 10, 2013. The movie was released to the general public on June 14, 2013, in 3D and IMAX theaters. The movie has earned more than $643 million at the worldwide box office, despite mixed reviews from critics. Some critics liked the movie's narrative, acting, visuals and reinvention of the main character, while others were critical of the movie's pacing and lack of character development.
The planet Krypton faces imminent destruction due to an unstable core, and its ruling council is under the threat of rebel General Zod and his followers. Scientist Jor-El and his wife Lara-El secretly imprint a genetic codex into the cells of their newborn son Kal-El, and launch him on a spacecraft to Earth to preserve the Kryptonian race. After Zod murders Jor-El, he and his followers are banished to the Phantom Zone, but manage to escape when Krypton explodes. The infant Kal-El lands on Earth in Smallville, Kansas, where he is discovered by couple Jonathan and Martha Kent, who name him Clark and raise him as their adopted son.
Clark's Kryptonian physiology affords him superhuman abilities on Earth. Young Clark gradually learns to hone the abilities that initially cause him confusion and discomfort. Jonathan reveals to a teenage Clark that he is an alien, and advises him to not utilize his powers publicly, fearing that society would reject him. After Jonathan's death, an adult Clark spends the next several years living a nomadic lifestyle, working different jobs under false names to cover his tracks and hide his identity. He eventually discovers a Kryptonian scout ship with technology that allows him to communicate with the consciousness of Jor-El in the form of a hologram. Lois Lane, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist from the Daily Planet, also discovers the ship while pursuing a story, and is rescued by Clark when she is injured. Lois's editor Perry White rejects her story of a "superhuman" rescuer, so she traces Clark back to Smallville with the intention of writing an exposé. After hearing his story, she decides not to reveal his secret.
Detecting the scout ship, Zod travels to Earth where he demands that Kal-El surrender to him, or humanity will suffer the consequences. Clark agrees to surrender to the U.S. military, who hand Lois and Clark over to Zod's second-in-command, Faora. Zod reveals that he intends to use a terraforming "world engine" to transform Earth into a Krypton-like planet, to eradicate the human population, and to use the codex to repopulate the planet with genetically-engineered Kryptonians. After Clark and Lois escape the ship, Clark defeats Faora and another of Zod's henchmen in Smallville, convincing the military that he is on their side. Zod deploys the world engine and initiates the terraforming in Metropolis and over the Indian Ocean.
Clark, now dubbed "Superman", stops the world engine in the Indian Ocean. The military uses the spacecraft that brought Superman to Earth in an aerial strike to create a portal that returns Zod's ship and his crew to the Phantom Zone. Only Zod remains, and he and Superman engage each other. After a battle, Superman is forced to kill Zod to save a group of innocent civilians that Zod attempts to murder. Superman decides to blend into the society by wearing eyeglasses, being mild-mannered, and resuming his identity as Clark Kent. He is hired by White to work as a reporter for the Daily Planet
- Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent, a superhero who came to Earth when his home planet was destroyed. He was adopted by Jonathan and Martha Kent. He later became a journalist at the Daily Planet.
- Amy Adams as Lois Lane, a reporter for the Daily Planet and the love interest of Clark Kent.
- Michael Shannon as General Zod, a Kryptonian General with the same powers as Superman.
- Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as Jonathan and Martha Kent, the adopted parents of Clark Kent.
- Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, the editor chief of the Daily Planet. He is also the boss of Lois Lane and Clark Kent.
- Antje Traue as Faora, a female Kryptonian who came with General Zod.
- Ayelet Zurer as Lara Lor-Van, the real mother of Superman and loyal wife of Jor-El.
- Russell Crowe as Jor-El, the real father of Superman and teaches Clark Kent how to become Superman.
- Harry Lennix as General Swanwick, commander of the military.
- Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy, colonel who helps Superman save the World.
- Rebecca Buller as Jenny Olsen, worker at the Daily Planet.
- Richard Schiff as Emil Hamilton, a scientist who studied about the World Engine and other devices used by Zod.
- Allison Crowe as (cameo) Singer at Cassidy's.
The movie was directed by Zack Snyder. It was produced by Christopher Nolan, Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder, and Emma Thomas. The movie is distributed by Warner Bros.. The movie was filmed in Weta Digital, Moving Picture Company, and Double Negative provided visual effects for the movie.
Hans Zimmer denied popular rumors that he would be composing the movie's score. However, in June 2012, it was confirmed that Zimmer would in fact be writing the movie's musical score. To remove any likeness of Man of Steel from the last Superman movies, the iconic "Superman March" by John Williams was not used in the movie. It is the first Superman movie to do so. Hans Zimmer's soundtrack for Man of Steel was released publicly on June 11, 2013. An unofficial part of the musical score from the third trailer, entitled "An Ideal of Hope", and confirmed to be a cut down version of the track "What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World?"  was released on April 19, 2013. In late April 2013, the official track listing of the two-disc deluxe edition was revealed.
Man of Steel holds a 55% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 271 reviews, with a rating average of 6.2/10. The site's summary review reads: "Man of Steel provides exhilarating action and spectacle to overcome its detours into generic blockbuster territory." Metacritic has given the movie a weighted average score of 55/100, based on 47 reviews, saying "mixed or average reviews". CinemaScore polls reported that the average grade cinemagoers gave for the movie was an "A-", with an "A" from those under 18 years old and those older than 50 years old, on a scale of "A+ to F".
As of July 28, 2013, Man of Steel has earned $286,807,505 in North America and an estimated $357,050,000 in other countries, for a worldwide total of $643,857,505, making it the highest grossing Superman movie ever. The movie earned $116.6 million on its opening weekend, including $17.5 million from IMAX theaters.
Awards and nominations
|Golden Trailer Awards||Best Summer 2013 Blockbuster Poster||Won|
|Best Teaser Poster||Nominated|
|Summer 2013 Blockbuster Trailer||Nominated|
|NewNowNext Awards||Cause You're Hot – Henry Cavill||Nominated|
|Next Must-See Movie||Won|
|2013 Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer Movie: Action||Nominated|
|Choice Summer Movie Star: Male – Henry Cavill||Nominated|
|Choice Summer Movie Star: Female – Amy Adams||Nominated|
|Choice Liplock – Henry Cavill and Amy Adams||Nominated|
Man of Steel was released on a Two-Disc DVD, and on Blu-ray & Blu-ray 3D Combo Packs on November 12, 2013.
The movie was mainly made in Chicago, Illinois. Other locations include Toronto, Ontario, Plano, Illinois, Vancouver, and in West Chicago, Illinois. The Daily Planet will be based on The Chicago Board of Trade Building and the Willis Tower.
Only five crew members (Christopher Nolan, Emma Thomas, Charles Roven, David S. Goyer, and Hans Zimmer) will be part of this movie that had been in The Dark Knight Trilogy. Hans Zimmer will compose the music. This movie will be the first Superman movie that will not use John Williams' iconic Superman theme song.
On July 20, 2013, Zack Snyder confirmed at San Diego Comic-Con International that the sequel to Man of Steel in 2015 will have Superman and Batman meeting for the first time in a live-action movie. Goyer and Snyder will co-write the story, and Goyer will write the script. Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas will be executive producers. Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Diane Lane and Laurence Fishburne will return for the sequel. A new actor will be chosen to play Batman.
Goyer stated at the Superman 75th Anniversary Panel at Comic-Con, that Superman and Batman will face off, and titles under consideration are Superman vs Batman or Batman vs Superman. The production will start filming in Toronto, Ontario rather than Vancouver in 2014. On August 22, 2013, The Hollywood Reporter announced the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman, along with the film's release date of July 17, 2015. Warner Bros. confirmed that the sequel will be filmed in Detroit and other areas in Michigan. Filming commenced on October 19, 2013, at East Los Angeles College to shoot a football game between Gotham City University and rival Metropolis State University.
On November 7, 2013, Variety reported that Gal Gadot, Elodie Yung and Olga Kurylenko had auditioned for a lead female role. On November 30, it was reported that the Kent farm featured in Man of Steel will be used in the film. On December 4, 2013, it was reported that Gal Gadot was cast as Wonder Woman. On December 18, 2013, The Hollywood Reporter announced that Argo screenwriter Chris Terrio will rewrite the script. On January 31, 2014, Jesse Eisenberg and Jeremy Irons were cast as Lex Luthor and Alfred Pennyworth, respectively. The movies release date was moved to May 16, 2016.
- "Hans Zimmer tapped to score 'Man of Steel'". Showblitz. June 18, 2012. http://www.showblitz.com/2012/06/hans-zimmer-tapped-to-score-man-of-steel.html. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "Amir Mokri". Internet Encyclopedia of Cinematographers. http://www.cinematographers.nl/PaginasDoPh/mokri.htm. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- Davis, Edward (July 21, 2011). "Zack Snyder's Superman Film Man Of Steel Moves To June 14, 2013". indieWire. http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/zack_snyders_superman_film_man_of_steel_moves_to_a_june_14_2013_date/. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- McNary, Dave (June 10, 2013). "Man of Steel Live Stream: Watch the Red Carpet Premiere". Variety. http://variety.com/2013/film/news/man-of-steel-premiere-watch-the-live-stream-of-red-carpet-1200494957/. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- Marketwatch.com (November 7, 2012). ""Man of Steel" to Soar into Theaters Next Summer in 3D". Press release. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/man-of-steel-to-soar-into-theaters-next-summer-in-3d-2012-11-07. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- Third Batman, New Superman Part of IMAX Deal. Superhero Hype!. April 28, 2010. http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/100703-third-batman-new-superman-part-of-new-imax-deal. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Schillaci, Sophie (August 22, 2013). Ben Affleck Is Batman for 'Man of Steel' Sequel. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ben-affleck-is-batman-man-612907. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- Henry Cavill to Play Superman!!. Superhero Hype!. January 30, 2011. http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/125177-henry-cavill-to-play-superman?cpage=20#written_comments_title. Retrieved January 30, 2011.
- Arrant, Chris (March 29, 2011). "Is Superman's New Lois Lane Really Too Old For The Man Of Steel?". MTV. http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/03/29/superman-amy-adams-lois-lane-2/. Retrieved March 29, 2011.
- Kilday, Gregg (April 10, 2011). Michael Shannon Set to Play Villain General Zod in 'Man of Steel'. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/michael-shannon-set-play-villain-176799. Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- "Kevin Costner Joins Zack Snyder's Superman Reboot". Pastemagazine.com. March 18, 2011. http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2011/03/kevin-costner-joins-zack-snyders-superman-reboot.html. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- "Richard Schiff joins 'Man of Steel'". Variety. January 9, 2012. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118048361?refCatId=13.
- "Effects Supremo Joe Letteri Says Zack Snyder Is Placing Emphasis On In-Camera Effects In 'Man of Steel'". Indiewire. http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/effects-supremo-joe-letteri-says-zack-snyder-is-placing-emphasis-on-in-camera-effects-in-man-of-steel?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Superman: Man of Steel". Archived from the original on January 4, 2013. http://www.moving-picture.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1412&Itemid=967&contentview=single§ion=2. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Double Negative: Full Project list".
- "Hans Zimmer Debunks SUPERMAN Rumor". Collider. http://collider.com/hans-zimmer-superman-rumor/63591/. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Eisenberg, Eric. "Man Of Steel To Feature The Music Of Hans Zimmer". cinemablend.com. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Man-Steel-Feature-Music-Hans-Zimmer-31457.html. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "MAN OF STEEL Won't Include John Williams' SUPERMAN Score". Geektyrant.com. August 13, 2012. http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/8/13/man-of-steel-wont-include-john-williams-superman-score.html. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- ""Man of Steel" Won't Use John Williams' "Superman" Music". Worstpreviews.com. http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=25767. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- "MAN OF STEEL SOUNDTRACK ANNOUNCED FOR JUNE 11TH". Comicbookmovie.com. March 29, 2013. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/superman_movies/news/?a=76659. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- "WaterTower Music". https://www.facebook.com/WaterTowerMusic?fref=ts.
- "Hans Zimmer’s ‘Man of Steel’ Trailer Song Available To Stream In Full: "An Ideal of Hope"". Flicks and Bits. http://www.flicksandbits.com/2013/04/20/hans-zimmers-man-of-steel-trailer-song-available-to-stream-in-full-an-ideal-of-hope/45272/. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "Man of Steel Two-Disc Soundtrack Featuring Original Music by Hans Zimmer Set for Release June 11th". fortmilltimes.com. April 30, 2013. http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/04/30/2656187/man-of-steel-two-disc-soundtrack.html. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- "Man of Steel Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. http://www.metacritic.com/movie/man-of-steel. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- Finke, Nikki (June 17, 2013). "‘Man Of Steel’ Soars To $200.3M Worldwide In First 4 Days As #1: Record June Domestic Opening Of $128.7M, International $71.6M". Deadline.com. http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man-of-steel-beginning-worldwide-release-record-opening-day-in-the-philippines/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- UPDATED GLOBAL: 'Man Of Steel' Breaks $200M In Opening Weekend. June 16, 2013. http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2013-06-13-overseas-man-of-steel-breaks-opening-day-records-in-the-philippines. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- The 14th Annual Golden Trailer Award Nominees. http://www.goldentrailer.com/awards.gta14.php. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- 2013 Nominees Cause You're Hot. http://www.newnownext.com/awards/2013/cause-youre-hot/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- 2013 Nominees Next Must-See Movie. http://www.newnownext.com/awar/2013/next-must-see-movie/. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- 2013 Teen Choice Awards Nominations: Fast & Furious 6 and Man of Steel Face Off in Final Wave. http://www.eonline.com/news/439435/2013-teen-choice-awards-nominations-fast-furious-6-and-man-of-steel-face-off-in-final-wave. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- "Man of Steel Blu-ray". Blu-ray.com. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Man-of-Steel-Blu-ray/51265/. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Merrion, Paul (July 28, 2011). "Superman flying into Chicago in August for filming". Crain's Chicago Business. http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20110728/NEWS07/110729855/superman-flying-into-chicago-in-august-for-filming. Retrieved July 29, 2011.
- "Man of Steel" Won't Use John Williams' "Superman" Music
- Kit, Borys (July 20, 2013). "Superman and Batman Film Set for Comic-Con Reveal". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/superman-batman-film-set-comic-589521. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- Sperling, Nicole (July 20, 2013). "Comic-Con 2013: 'Superman & Batman' movie will follow 'Man of Steel'". Los Angeles Times. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/comic-con-2013-superman-batman-movie-will-follow-man-of-steel/. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- Collura, Scott (July 23, 2013). "Comic-Con: Man of Steel Sequel Likely Called Batman Vs. Superman". IGN. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/23/comic-con-man-of-steel-sequel-likely-called-batman-vs-superman. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- "MAN OF STEEL 2 PRODUCTION DEPARTS VANCOUVER FOR TORONTO". Vancitybuzz.com. July 2013. http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/07/man-of-steel-2-production-departs-vancouver-for-toronto/. Retrieved September 22, 2013.
- Superman-Batman movie will film in Michigan. August 29, 2013. http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20130829/news01/308290019?nclick_check=1.
- Vasquez, Danny (October 15, 2013). Batman, Superman step onto the field. http://elaccampusnews.com/2013/10/09/batman-superman-step-onto-the-field/. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Kroll, Justin (November 7, 2013). "New Actresses Test for ‘Batman vs. Superman’…as Wonder Woman? (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. http://variety.com/2013/film/news/batman-superman-1200665552/. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Photos of the Kent Farm Construction for Batman vs. Superman. ComingSoon.net. November 30, 2013. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111929. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "Gal Gadot to Play Wonder Woman in 'Batman vs. Superman'". Variety. December 4, 2013. http://variety.com/2013/film/news/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-batman-vs-superman-1200918310/. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "Batman-Superman Film Enlists 'Argo' Writer (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. December 18, 2013. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/batman-superman-chris-terrio-write-666735. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "Jesse Eisenberg and Jeremy Irons Join the Cast of Warner Bros. Pictures’ Untitled Superman/Batman Film from Director Zack Snyder". Business Wire. January 31, 2014. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140131005753/en#.UuvjO9JDsk4.
- Warner Bros. (May 21, 2014). "CAMERAS ROLL ON DIRECTOR ZACK SNYDER’S “BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE” FROM WARNER BROS. PICTURES". facebook. https://www.facebook.com/notes/243852532482001. Retrieved May 23, 2014.