kidzsearch.com > wiki
Manji (万治) was a Japanese era name (年号, nengō, , lit. "year name") after Meireki and before Kanbun. This period started in July 1658 and ended in April 1661. During this time, the emperor was Go-Sai-tennō (後西天皇).
Events of the Manji era
- 1658 (Manji 1): After the Great Mereiki Fire, the shogunate organized four teams of firefighters.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2002). "Manji" in Japan encyclopedia, p. 607.
- Nussbaum, "Tennō," pp. 962-963; Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Annales des empereurs du japon, p. 413.
- McClain, James et al. (1994). Edo and Paris: Urban Life and the State in the Early Modern Era, p. xxii.
- Bodart-Bailey, Beatrice. (2006). The Dog Shogun: The Personality and Policies of Tokugawa Tsunayoshi, p. 110.
- Titsingh, p. 413.
- National Diet Library, "The Japanese Calendar" -- historical overview plus illustrative images from library's collection
|Era or nengō: