kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
The Kibo summit of Mount Kilimanjaro.
|Elevation||5,895 m (19,341 ft)|
|Prominence||5,885 m (19,308 ft)|
|Location||Kilimanjaro Region, north east Tanzania|
|Range||The Eastern Rift mountains|
|Topo map||Kilimanjaro map and guide by Wielochowski|
|Age of rock||3 million years|
|Last eruption||Between 150,000 and 200,000 years ago|
|First ascent||6 October 1889 by Hans Meyer and Ludwig Purtscheller|
Kilimanjaro (or Kilima Njaro, which means "shining mountain" in Swahili), formerly Kaiser-Wilhelm-Spitze, is a mountain in northeastern Tanzania. Kilimanjaro is the tallest free-standing mountain rise in the world, rising 4600 meters (15,000 ft) from the base, and is the highest peak in Africa at 5,895 meters (19,340 ft). It gives a dramatic view from the surrounding plains. Almost 85% of the ice cover on Kilimanjaro disappeared from October 1912 to June 2011.
Kilimanjaro is also a strato-like volcano. It has explosive eruptions. The last major eruption was about 100,000 years ago.
Climbing and acclimatization
There are 6 routes up Kilimanjaro: Lemosho, Machame, Marangu, Umbwe, Rongai and Northern Circuit.
Since there are big differences in height, climbers can feel Altitude sickness. 7-, 8- and 9-day routes are recommended (especially for beginners), as on them it will be easier to adapt to less oxygen in the air. The more time is spent being on the slope, the easier it is to acclimatize.
- "Kilimanjaro National Park". World Heritage List. UNESCO World Heritage Centre. http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/403. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Kilimanjaro". Peakbagger.com. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=11202. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- "World Peaks with 4000 meters of Prominence". http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=401. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- EWP. Kilimanjaro Map and tourist Guide [map], 4th edition, 1:75,000 with 1:20,000 and 1:30,000 insets, EWP Map Guides. Cartography by EWP. (2009) ISBN 0-906227-66-6.
- NHK, "Kilimanjaro: White Mountain of the Equator -- Tanzania, 5,895 m"; retrieved 2012-5-24.
- "Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing" (in en). https://en.altezza.travel/climbing-kilimanjaro.
- "High Altitude Acclimatization on Kilimanjaro | Climbing Tips for Beginners" (in en). https://en.altezza.travel/articles/acclimatization.