kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Mount Rushmore is a famous mountain and memorial near Keystone, South Dakota in the United States. It has the heads of four of America's presidents carved on it: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln. The Mount Rushmore Memorial is a part of the United States Presidential Memorial, which covers 1,278.45 acres (5.17 km2) and is 5,725 feet (1,745 m) above sea level (altitude).
Before the memorial was carved, the native Lakota Indian Tribes called the mountain "Six Grandfathers". Later, the mountain was named after Charles E. Rushmore, a well-known lawyer, after an expedition in 1885.[source?] The memorial was carved to help increase tourism in the Black Hills, where the mountain was. Doane Robinson first formed the idea in 1923. Robinson convinced many influential people in the United States government to build the memorial. Congress soon allowed construction to begin.
- Mount Rushmore Info, JnM Design, 2009, http://www.mountrushmoreinfo.com, retrieved 30 January, 2010
- McGeveran, William A. Jr.; et al. (2004), The Word Almanac and Book of Facts 2004, World Almanac Education Group, Inc.,
- Mount Rushmore, South Dakota, Peakbagger.com., 2004, http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=6234, retrieved 13 March, 2006
- Carving History, Mount Rushmore National Park - Park History, 2004, http://www.nps.gov/archive/moru/park_history/carving_hist/carving_history.htm, retrieved 30 January, 2010
- Oak, Manali (2008), Mount Rushmore History, Buzzle.com, http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mt-rushmore-history.html, retrieved 30 January, 2010