OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" is an operating system made by Apple Inc. for its Macintosh line of computers. It is a version of OS X, and carries the release number 10.9. It was released on October 22, 2013. According to Apple, "Mavericks" contains over 200 changes and improvements since OS X Mountain Lion.
OS X Mavericks was the first OS X major release to be a free upgrade since Mac OS X 10.1 "Puma".
Notable New Features
- iBooks - allows you to buy and read books on your Mac.
- Maps - browse and search places using Apple's Maps service.
- iCloud Keychain - stores your passwords and credit cards in iCloud and fills them in for you when needed on any of your Apple products. "Keychain" can also suggest passwords for you to use when creating new online accounts.
- Multiple Displays - makes your Mac easier to use if you have more than one computer screen.
- App Nap - stops apps that aren't being used from slowing down your computer.
- Calendar - looks more modern and works well with Maps.
- Safari - updated the "Top Sites" screen and shows you links people have shared with you on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Notification Center - now allows you to send messages from Notification Center without opening Messages, and also shows you notifications you may have missed on your lock screen.
- Finder - lets you open tabs in Finder, and tag files with keywords so you can search your files more easily.