kidzsearch.com > wiki
Palmyra Atoll is an island in the North Pacific Ocean. No one lives there, but 4 to 20 people use this island, mainly scientists. It is managed as a nature reserve by the United States. It is known as the Palmyra Atoll National Wildlife Refuge.
In 2005, a team of scientists from around the world started to build a research station on the island. They wanted to gain a deeper understanding of the environment of the island.
Palmyra Atoll was claimed by the Kingdom of Hawaii in 1862, and was taken by the United States in 1898 along with Hawaii. The atoll was not included in the Hawaii Admission Act of 1959, which made Hawaii a state, so it remained a US territory.
- "Palmyra Atoll" at CIA World Factbook; excerpt, "no indigenous inhabitants"; retrieved 2013-4-19.
- Palmyra atoll Archived 2005-09-06 at the Wayback Machine
- Palmyra Island Archived 2013-02-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Palmyra Atoll NWR
- The Curse of Palmyra Island – article
- The Curse of Palmyra Island – free book Archived 2009-08-28 at the Wayback Machine
- The Nature Conservancy in Palmyra Atoll Archived 2007-08-14 at the Wayback Machine
- Palmyra Atoll Research Consortium
- United States v. Fullard-Leo (Supreme Court opinion; includes a history of the island's ownership)
- WorldStatesmen- U.S.
- History of Palmyra Atoll Archived 2008-03-30 at the Wayback Machine
- The Palmyra Gazette Archived 2018-09-21 at the Wayback Machine