kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Paul Adrien Maurice Dirac|
8 August 1902|
October 20, 1984 (aged 82)|
Tallahassee, Florida, USA
|Known for||Nobel Prize in Physics, 1933|
Dirac's father came from the French-speaking part of Switzerland.
Dirac worked out a formulation of quantum mechanics, which includes Erwin Schrödinger's wave mechanics and Werner Heisenberg's matrix mechanics in 1926. In 1928 he found the Dirac equation and he found out that spin in quantum mechanics is an effect of relativity. The Dirac equation allowed Dirac to predict the existence of antimatter, which is the opposite of matter.
In 1933 he won the Nobel Prize in Physics.
Dirac was the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics chair at Cambridge University from 1932 until his retirement in 1969. He was Professor of Physics at Florida State University from 1972 until his death in 1984.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Paul Dirac|
- Dirac Medal of the International Centre for Theoretical Physics
- Dirac Medal of the World Association of Theoretically Oriented Chemists (WATOC)
- Photographs of Dirac
- The Paul Dirac Collection at Florida State University
- The Paul A. M. Dirac Collection Finding Aid at Florida State University
- Photocopies of Dirac's papers from the Florida State University collection, held under Dirac's name in the Archive Centre of Churchill College, Cambridge, UK
- Letters from Dirac (1932-36) and other papers, held in the Personal Papers archives of St John's College, Cambridge, UK
- Annotated bibliography for Paul Dirac from the Alsos Digital Library for Nuclear Issues