kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Setting and usage||Language game or Argot|
The usual rules are:
- For words that begin with consonants, move the consonant to the end of the word and add "ay."
- For words that begin with vowels, simply add "ay" to the end of the word.
Pig Latin that one writes is sometimes written with dashes, between the first part and the "c-ay" letters, and sometimes it is not. A sentence can be "Is-thay is-ay an-ay example-ay of-ay Ig-pay Atin-lay ith-way ashes-day", or "Isthay isay anay exampleay ofay Igpay Atinlay ithoutway ashesday."
In Pig Latin, this sentence:
- Is-thay is-ay an-way example-ay of-ay Ig-pay Atin-lay. As-ay ou-yay an-cay ee-say, it-ay is-ay illy-say, ut-bay ots-lay of-ay un-fay or-fay ildren-chay.
comes to mean:
- This is an example of Pig Latin. As you can see, it is silly, but lots of fun for children.
The British name for Pig Latin is "backslang".
- "Learning Pig Latin" (1999)