kidzsearch.com > wiki
Poliomyelitis or polio is a virus that causes a serious disease. It is spread from person to person. Most of the time, polio has no symptoms unless it goes into the blood. It is uncommon for it to enter the brain or spinal cord. If this does happen, it can cause one to become paralyzed. Vaccination with polio vaccines could stop the disease all over the world. Organizations like the World Health Organisation have been doing this, and vaccination has eliminated polio from most countries in the world. Polio worldwide has dropped from about 350,000 cases in 1988 to 1,652 cases in 2007.
- Cohen JI (2004). "Chapter 175: Enteroviruses and Reoviruses". In Kasper DL, Braunwald E, Fauci AS, et al. (eds.). Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (16th ed.). McGraw-Hill Professional. p. 1144. .
- Ryan KJ, Ray CG (eds.) (2004). "Enteroviruses". Sherris Medical Microbiology (4th ed.). McGraw Hill. pp. 535–7. .
- Heymann D (2006). "Global polio eradication initiative". Bull. World Health Organ. 84 (8): 595. . http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0042-96862006000800006&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en.
- Aylward RB (2006). "Eradicating polio: today's challenges and tomorrow's legacy". Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 100 (5–6): 401–13. . . http://openurl.ingenta.com/content/nlm?genre=article&issn=0003-4983&volume=100&issue=5-6&spage=401&aulast=Aylward. Retrieved 2009-01-02.
- Schonberger L, Kaplan J, Kim-Farley R, Moore M, Eddins D, Hatch M (1984). "Control of paralytic poliomyelitis in the United States". Rev. Infect. Dis. 6 Suppl 2: S424–6. .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (October 2006). "Update on vaccine-derived polioviruses". MMWR Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep. 55 (40): 1093–7. . http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5540a3.htm.
- Kew O, Sutter R, de Gourville E, Dowdle W, Pallansch M (2005). "Vaccine-derived polioviruses and the endgame strategy for global polio eradication". Annu Rev Microbiol 59: 587–635. . . http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.micro.58.030603.123625?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3dncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- "Wild Poliovirus Weekly Update". Global Polio Eradication Initiative. 2008-11-25. Archived from the original on 2008-06-16. http://web.archive.org/web/20080616015729/http://www.polioeradication.org/casecount.asp. Retrieved 2008-11-29.