kidzsearch.com > wiki
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
|Centers for Disease Control and Prevention|
|Formed||October 27, 1992|
|Preceding agencies|| Office of National Defense Malaria Control Activities (1942)|
Office of Malaria Control in War Areas (1942–1946)
Communicable Disease Center (1946–1967)
National Communicable Disease Center (1967–1970)
Center for Disease Control (1970–1980)
Centers for Disease Control (1980–1992)
|Jurisdiction||Federal government of the United States|
|Headquarters||Druid Hills, Georgia|
|Annual budget||8.8 billion USD (2008)|
|Agency executive||Rochelle Walensky (Director), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention|
|Parent agency||United States Department of Health and Human Services|
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (or CDC) are a United States federal agency under the Department of Health and Human Services. CDC main office is in Druid Hills, a neighborhood in northeastern Atlanta, Georgia.  It works to protect public health and safety. It provides information to enhance health decisions. It promotes health as a partner with state health departments and other organizations. When an infectious disease or bad food can cause health problems, the CDC will tell the nation how to fight it. The CDC works on environmental health, occupational safety and health, health promotion, injury prevention and education activities designed to improve the health of the people of the United States.
The CDC Foundation is separate from CDC as a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. It is incorporated in the State of Georgia. Section 399F of the Public Health Service Act created the foundation to help the CDC work with the private sector.
- Home Page. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved on November 19, 2008. Archived 2006-03-30 at WebCite
- Groundbreaking held for new CDC virus research labs. Atlanta Journal-Constitution. December 3, 1985. A21. Retrieved on February 5, 2011. "[The new facility will sit behind and be connected to CDC's red-brick complex of buildings on Clifton Road in DeKalb County[...]"
- "Druid Hills CDP, GA Archived 2011-11-25 at the Wayback Machine." United States Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 5, 2009.
- The CDC Homepage
- CDC Online Newsroom
- CDC Health Topics A to Z
- CDC Public Health Image Library
- CDC Global Communications Center
- CDC Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratory– Atlanta, Georgia Archived 2008-07-03 at the Wayback Machine
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention Meeting Notices and Rule Changes Archived 2011-11-19 at the Wayback Machine from The Federal Register RSS Feed Archived 2011-09-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Proposed and finalized federal regulations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Archived 2012-03-23 at the Wayback Machine