kidzsearch.com > wiki
Pope Pius I
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Pope Saint Pius I|
|Bishop of Rome|
|Papacy began||c. 140|
|Papacy ended||c. 155|
|Born||c. late 1st century|
Rome, Roman Empire
|Feast day||11 July|
|Other Popes named Pius|
Pius became pope in 140.
He was the first sole Bishop of Rome during his reign. Previously, the Bishop of Rome was a council of Bishops with the Pope being the head of the council. His feast day is celebrated on July 11.
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2013-4-1.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Pius I," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 18, p. 197.
- "Pope St. Pius I," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2013-4-1.
- Richard P. McBrien, Lives of the Popes: The Pontiffs from St. Peter to John Paul II, (San Francisco:Harper San Francisco, 1997, p. 39
- "Pope St. Pius I". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- "Pius," Encyclopædia Britannica, 1911
- Catholic Hierarchy, Popes in sequence
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Rome
| Succeeded by|