kidzsearch.com > wiki
Pope Pius VI
|Papacy began||215 February, 1775|
|Papacy ended||29 August 1799|
|Predecessor||Pope Clement IV|
|Successor||Pope Pius VII|
|Birth name||Giovanni Angelo Braschi|
|Born||25 December, 1717|
|Died||29 August 1799|
|Other Popes named Pius|
Pope Pius VI (Latin: Pius SextusScript error: No such module "Category handler".; 25 December, 1717 – 29 August 1799), born Giovanni Angelo Braschi, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 251st Pope from 1775 to 1799.
Cardinal Braschi was elected pope in 1775; and he chose to be called Pius VI.
Pope Pius was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- Chisholm, Hugh (1911). Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. University Press. pp. 685-686. https://books.google.com/?id=DhBTAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA685.
- Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1840. pp. 199-201. https://books.google.com/?id=6c9PAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA199.
- "Pope Pius VI," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-27.
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- "Pope Pius VI". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius VI
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Braschi
| Succeeded by|