kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Pope Pius VII
|Papacy began||14 March 1800|
|Papacy ended||20 August 1823|
|Predecessor||Pope Pius VI|
|Successor||Pope Leo XII|
|Birth name||Barnaba Niccolò Maria Luigi Chiaramonti|
|Born||14 August 1742|
|Died||20 August 1823(aged 81)|
Pope Pius VII (Latin: Pius Septimus; 14 August 1742 – 20 August 1823), born Barnaba Niccolò Maria Luigi Chiaramonti, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 252nd Pope from 14 March 1800 to 20 August 1823.
Chiaramonte was ordained on 21 September 1765.
Pope Pius was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
Pius traveled from Rome to Paris to crown Napoleon as Emperor of the French in 1804. Before leaving Rome, he signed abdication papers which would take effect if he were put in prison in France. He was not put in prison; and he did not abdicate.
After his death
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Pius VII," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-27.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Pius VII," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 18, pp. 201-203.
- Giga-Catholic Information (GCatholic), Pope Pius VII; retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Pius VII," Encyclopedia Britannica (1911), Vols. 21-22, pp. 686-687.
- "Abdication," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2013-2-11.
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- "Pope Pius VII". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Catholic hierarchy, Pope Pius VII
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Chiaramonti
| Succeeded by|