kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Musée du Louvre
History of the Louvre
Philip II of France built a castle called the Castle of the Louvre. It used to be where the museum is. They used the castle as a fortress to defend Paris against the Vikings. Charles V, King of France turned the castle into a palace. However, Francis I, King of France, knocked it down and built a new palace.
Henry IV, King of France added the Grande Galerie to the Louvre. The Grande Galerie is more than a quarter of a mile long and one hundred feet wide. The Grande Galerie was built along the River Seine. It was the longest building in the world.
- Free photos of Louvre
- Official Louvre website (Requires Flash)
- Extensive Photo Gallery from The Louvre — Photos of almost all the sculpture, many of the paintings and Objects d'Art
- Fullscreen Virtual Tour by Virtualsweden
- History of the Louvre
- Excerpt of Michael T. Cannell's book on I.M. Pei — discusses controversy over Pei's pyramid.
- Antiquities of the Louvre
- 200 photographs from a one-day visit
- Official École du Louvre website (Requires Flash)