kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
In Norse mythology, Ragnarök ("fate of the gods") is the battle at the end of the world. It would be fought between the gods or Æsir, led by Odin and the fire giants, the Jötnar and other monsters, led by Loki. Not only will some of the gods, giants, and monsters die in this battle, but almost everything in the universe will be destroyed.
The results of battles:
- Freyr vs Surtr: Freyr was unarmed, and he was killed by Surtr
- Odin vs Fenrir: Odin was swallowed by Fenrir.
- Víðarr vs Fenrir: Fenrir was slain following his battle with Odin
- Thor vs Jormungandr: Both slayed each other
- Tyr vs Garm: Both slayed each other
- Heimdall vs Loki: Both inflicted fatal wounds on each other, but Loki refused to die until he saw the destruction of the worlds
Surtr then used his sword to cover the worlds in flame. But he also died in the fire.
Freya kills herself after she sees Freyr die.
None of the goddesses were mentioned (except Freya), but we assume that Frigg would survive.
Not many gods survived Ragnarok. The known survivors are: Aegir, Vidar, Vali, Hoenir, Vili, Magni, Modi, Hermóðr, Forseti and Ull. Though most of the goddesses survive: (Frigg, Sif, Thrud, Idun, Saga, Eir, Gefjun, Fulla, Sjofn, Lofn, Var, Vor, Syn and Hlin. Snotra, Gna, Freya and Nanna died.
- Snorri Sturluson in his Prose Edda spelled it Ragnarøkr (sometimes "Ragnarøkkr") which means "Twilight of the Gods," whence the German title of Wagner's work "Götterdämmerung."