kidzsearch.com > wiki
Recy Elisabeth Taylor
December 31, 1919
|Died||December 28, 2017 (aged 97)|
Recy Elisabeth Taylor (December 31, 1919 – December 28, 2017) was an African-American kidnapping and rape victim and activist.
On September 3, 1944, she was kidnapped while leaving church by six white men. Even though the men admitted the rape to authorities, two grand juries subsequently declined to indict the men, meaning no charges were ever brought against her six assailants.
- L. McGuire, Danielle (December 6, 2010). "Rosa Parks' political journey didn't begin on the bus". The Grio. http://thegrio.com/2010/12/06/rosa-parks-political-journey-didnt-begin-on-the-bus/.
- Danielle L. McGuire: At The Dark End of The Street: Black Women, Rape, and Resistance- a New History of the Civil Rights Movement from Rosa Parks to the Rise of Black Power (New York: Vintage Books, 2011), 279
- McGuire, Danielle L. (2010). At the Dark End of the Street: Black Women, Rape, and Resistance- A New History of the Civil Rights Movement from Rosa Parks to the Rise of Black Power. Random House. pp. xv-xvii. .
- "'Morally repugnant': Alabama issues apology for its treatment of black woman gang raped by six white men in 1944", The Daily Mail, March 30, 2011
- "Racy Taylor dies at 97". Fox News. December 28, 2017. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/28/recy-taylor-alabama-black-woman-raped-by-6-white-men-dies.html.
- Treading the Tightrope of Jim Crow; Montgomery NAACP. The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks.