kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Welsh: Afon Hafren|
|Countries||United Kingdom, (Wales, England)|
|Regions||Mid Wales, West Midlands, South West|
|Powys, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire|
|- left||Vyrnwy, Tern, Stour, Warwickshire Avon, Bristol Avon|
|- right||Teme, Leadon, Wye|
|Cities||Shrewsbury, Worcester, Gloucester, Bristol|
|Landmarks||Ironbridge Gorge, Severn Valley, Severn Bore, Severn crossing|
|- location||Plynlimon, Ceredigion, Wales|
|- elevation||610 m (2,001 ft)|
|- location||Bristol Channel, United Kingdom|
|- elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|Length||354 km (220 mi)|
|Basin||11,420 km² (4,409 sq mi)|
|Discharge||for Bewdley, Worcs. SO 7815 7622|
|- average||61.17 m³/s (2,160 cu ft/s) |
|- max||533.48 m³/s (18,840 cu ft/s) |
max recorded on 1947-03-21
The River Severn  is the longest river in Great Britain, at about 354 kilometres (220 mi), It rises in the Cambrian Mountains of mid Wales. It then flows through Shropshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, with the county towns of Shrewsbury, Worcester, and Gloucester on its banks.The Severn is the greatest river in terms of water flow in England and Wales.
The river is usually considered to become the Severn Estuary after the Second Severn Crossing. The river then discharges into the Bristol Channel which in turn discharges into the Atlantic Ocean. The Severn's drainage basin area is 11,420 square kilometres (4,409 sq mi), excluding the River Wye and the River Avon which flow into the Severn Estuary.
- "National River Flow Archive – 54001 Severn @ Montford". http://www.nwl.ac.uk/ih/nrfa/station_summaries/054/005.html. Retrieved 24 January 2008.
- "HiFlows-UK". http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/hiflowsuk/stations/54001/. Retrieved 24 January 2008. [dead link]
- Welsh: Afon Hafren, Latin: Sabrina
- "Frankwell Flood Alleviation Scheme, Shrewsbury". UK Environment Agency. http://www.seered.co.uk/shrewsburyfloods.pdf. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- "The River Severn Facts". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/sevenwonders/west/severn-river/. Retrieved 28 December 2006.