kidzsearch.com > wiki
St Augustine's Abbey
|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
Abbot Fyndon's Great Gate, with Lady Wootton's Green in the foreground, is a private entrance into the King’s School. The public entrance to the abbey ruins is on Longport.
|Location||Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom|
|Part of||Canterbury Cathedral, St Augustine's Abbey, and St Martin's Church|
|Inscription||1988 (12th Session)|
|Area||8.42 ha (20.8 acres)|
St Augustine's Abbey was a Benedictine abbey in Canterbury, Kent, England. It is named after Saint Augustine of Canterbury. It was founded during the early introduction of Christianity to the Anglo-Saxons.
The ruins of St Augustine's Abbey, together with Canterbury Cathedral and St Martin's Church, were named a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1988. As a group, they are buildings which show the development of Christianity in Britain.
- "St Augustine's Abbey". English Heritage. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/st-augustines-abbey/. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "Abbey of Saint Augustine". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- UNESCO, "Canterbury Cathedral, St Augustine's Abbey, and St Martin's Church". Retrieved 2012-4-20. Archived 2010-01-18 at WebCite
- "Houses of Benedictine monks: The abbey of St Augustine, Canterbury", A History of the County of Kent: Volume 2 (1926), pp. 126-133. British History Online. Retrieved 30 July 2010.
- Official website at English Heritage
- Hasted, Edward (1801). "Abbots of St. Augustine's Abbey". British History Online. Institute of Historical Research. 177-225. Retrieved on 9 April 2013.
- St Augustine's Abbey at SacredDestinations.com