kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
A static mixer is made up of rectangular plates twisted around at 180° so that they make a double-helix shape.
- Click for a picture
Liquids flow along the curves of the static mixer and also are separated by the smooth sides of the mixer. The mixer can also be turned clockwise, or right, and then quickly turned counter-clockwise, or left. This creates opposite currents in the liquid and mixes it more efficiently.
The static mixer can be used to mix acids and alkalis for a neutralization. It can also be used to mix two liquids that normally wouldn't mix, like oil and water (see emulsion). It separates the particles of the water and oil until they become so small that they mix.
- Simple shape - easy to clean
- Doesn't need electricity - saves money and can be used in otherwise explosive areas
- Manual - easy to use
- In depth article on Static mixers directed towards students
- In depth article on Static mixers
- Different types of Static Mixers