kidzsearch.com > wiki
A separating funnel (also called a separation funnel) is a piece of laboratory equipment made mostly of glass and is used to separate two liquids that usually are very hard to separate, for example, Oil and Water.
For this example, oil and water will be used.
A mixture of oil and water is put into a separating funnel and then shaken and then left until it becomes stable again. The liquid with higher density, (in this case water), goes to the bottom of the separating funnel (because it is heavier than oil).
When this is done, the bottom of the Separating funnel is opened and the water flows out, leaving only the oil left.
A separating funnel is a cone shape made from glass but has a half circle, or hemisphere, on top. It has a stopper at the top and tap or hole at the bottom. The size of one can be between 50 mililitres and 3 litres.
- Static mixer
- Short article on using separating funnels
- Different types of separating funnel (very good pictures, not much information
- Lenz Squibb separating funnel manufacturers
- Guide on how to use a separating funnel
- Separating funnels and other scientific merchendise