kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Region||Central and South Luzon|
28 million (2007)|
96% of the Philippines can speak Tagalog (2000)
|Official language in||Philippines (in the form of Filipino)|
|Regulated by||Commission on the Filipino Language|
|ISO 639-2||tgl, fil|
tgl – inclusive code|
fil – Filipino
Tagalog is one of the main languages spoken in the Philippines. More than twenty-two million people speak it as their first language. It originally was spoken by the Tagalog people of the Philippines, who were mainly in Bulacan, Cavite, and some other parts of the Luzon Island. Now it is spoken nationwide, like English. It is a mix of Spanish, Malay, and English. It originally was used with an abugida, the Baybayin script, but now the Latin alphabet is used to write the words.
Some Helpful Phrases
- Doon: there
- Banyo: Bathroom
- Wala: none
- May ______ ba kayo?: Do you have ______?(formal)
- Mayroon po: Response to "May ______ ba kayo", meaning "Yes, sir".
- Wala po: Opposite of "Mayroon po".
- Kayo: you (formal), informally, it refers to "you all".
- Magkano ito?: How much is this?
- po: ma'am or sir (used in sentences to be polite to an elder speaker)
- Mabuhay!: Long Live
- Sino Ka?: Who are you?
- Ako po si (Pangalan)...: I am (Name)...
- Mahal kita: I love you
- Nanay: Mom
- Tatay: Dad
- Hindi: No
- Bakit?: Why?
- Saan?: Where?
- Ano?: What?
- Kailan?: When?
- Sino: Who?
- Nationalencyklopedin "Världens 100 största språk 2007" The World's 100 Largest Languages in 2007
- "Educational characteristics of the Filipinos". Census.gov.ph. 2005-03-18. http://www.census.gov.ph/data/sectordata/sr05153tx.html. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- English, Leo James (1990). "Tagalog, Pilipino". Tagalog-English Dictionary.
|This language has its own Wikipedia project. See the Tagalog edition.|
|The English Wikibooks has more information on:|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide about: Filipino phrasebook|