kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
United States Military Academy at West Point
|United States Military Academy|
at West Point
|Motto||Duty • Honor • Country|
|Established||16 March 1802|
|Type||Federal military academy|
|Superintendent||LTG David H. Huntoon|
|Admin. staff||600 faculty|
|Location||West Point, New York, United States|
|Campus||15,974 acres (65 km2)|
Black, gray, and gold|
24 varsity teams
|Affiliations||Patriot League, Atlantic Hockey Association|
United States Military Academy
|Added to NRHP:||1966|
|Designated NHL:||December 19, 1960|
The United States Military Academy at West Point (also known as West Point, USMA, Army (athletic teams)) is a university that teaches students to become officers in the US Army. Students are called "cadets" and are subject to military rules while studying subjects like engineering and military science for four years. For many years, West Point only taught men, but in 1976 West Point admitted its first female cadets. Women currently comprise approximately 15% of entering new cadets.
Military officers compose 75% of the faculty. Civilian professors make up the remaining 25% of faculty positions.
Congress formally authorized and funded West Point on 16 March 1802. West Point was so successful, that military academies were added later for the Navy, Coast Guard and Air Force.
West Point has a very broad sports program. All of its students are required to compete in at least one sport, either at the intramural (i.e., within the school) or intercollegiate (i.e., against other schools) level, in every semester.
The Army intercollegiate sports teams are nicknamed "Black Knights". Most Army teams play in the Patriot League. The football team plays at the highest level, known as Division I FBS, but is independent—not in any conference. The men's ice hockey team plays in Atlantic Hockey.
- "About the Academy". United States Military Academy. http://www.usma.edu/about.asp. Retrieved 25 December 2008.
- Ambrose (1966), p. 22.
- "Lt. Gen. David H. Huntoon Jr. Becomes New Superintendent of West Point". Fox News. 22 July 2010. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/22/lt-gen-david-h-huntoon-jr-new-superintendent-west-point/. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- "Fact Sheet: USMA Faculty". USMA Public Affairs Office. http://web.archive.org/web/20120119115010/http://www.usma.edu/dcomm/presskit/factsheets/facultyfactsheet.doc. Retrieved 21 January 2009.
- "College Navigator – United States Military Academy". National Center for Education Statistics, United States Department of Education. http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=united+states+military+academy&s=all&id=197036. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "USMA Facilities". Office of Admissions. http://admissions.usma.edu/Prospectus/wpe_facilities.cfm. Retrieved 29 December 2008.
- "The Class of 1980". Smithsonian National Museum of American History. http://americanhistory.si.edu/westpoint/history_6d.html. Retrieved 30 December 2008.
- Barkalow (1990), p. 20.
- "Class of 2012 enter West Point". West Point AOG. http://www.westpointaog.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=2801. Retrieved 30 December 2008.
- Ambrose, Stephen (1966). Duty, Honor, Country. A History of West Point. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Atkinson, Rick (1989). The Long Gray Line. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Barkalow, Carol (1990). In the Men's House. New York: Poseidon Press.
- Crackel, Theodore (1991). The Illustrated History of West Point. Boston: Harry N. Abrams, Inc.
- Crackel, Theodore (2002). West Point: A Bicentennial History. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas.
- Crowley, Robert; Guinzburg, Thomas (2002). West Point: Two Centuries of Honor and Tradition. New York: Warner Books.
- Endler, James (1998). Other Leaders, Other Heros. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers.
- Lea, Russell (2003). The Long Green Line. Haverford, PA: Infinity Publishing.
- Lipsky, David (2003). Absolutely American: Four Years at West Point. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Hulse, Glenn (1994). Bugle Notes, 86th Volume. West Point, NY: Directorate of Cadet Activities.
- McMaster, R.K. (1951). West Point's Contribution to Education. El Paso, TX: McMath Printing Co.
- Miller, Rod (2002). The Campus Guide: West Point US Military Academy. New York: Princeton Architectural Press.
- Murphy, Jr., Bill (2008). In a Time of War: The Proud and Perilous Journey of West Point's Class of 2002. New York: Henry Holt and Co.
- Neff, Casey (2007). Bugle Notes: 99th Volume. West Point, NY: Directorate of Cadet Activities.
- Palka, Eugene; Malinowski, Jon C. (2008). Historic Photos of West Point. Nashville, TN: Turner Publishing Company.
- Poughkeepsie Journal (2003). West Point: Legend on the Hudson. Montgomery, NY: Walden Printing.
- Simpson, Jeffrey (1982). Officers And Gentlemen: Historic West Point in Photographs. Tarrytown, NY: Sleepy Hollow Press.