kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
University of Alabama
|The University of Alabama|
|Alabama university collage.jpg|
|President||Stuart R. Bell|
|Students||36,155 (Fall 2014)|
|Undergraduates||30,754 (Fall 2014)|
|Postgraduates||5,401 (Fall 2014)|
|Location||Tuscaloosa, Alabama, U.S.|
|Campus||Urban (small city);|
1,970 acres (800 ha)
|Battle Cry||Roll Tide|
|Colors||Crimson & White|
|Athletics||NCAA Division I|
See Varsity sports
|University of Alabama (logo).png|
The University of Alabama (UA) is a university in the U.S. state of Alabama. The University of Alabama is in the city of Tuscaloosa. People can usually just say Alabama or UA for short when they are talking about the University.
UA opened in 1831 and now about 35,000 students study there. UA is one of the three largest universities in Alabama. Auburn University and University of Alabama at Birmingham are the other two main schools in Alabama. Students study many things at UA, such as liberal arts, science, engineering, communication, engineering, education, social work, nursing, human sciences (such as fashion design) and law. People study to get bachelor's degrees, Master's degrees and doctorates at Alabama. Also, graduates can get an Education Specialist degree.
Many people have heard about the University of Alabama because it has many good sports teams. These sports teams are called the Crimson Tide. The football team from UA has won the national football championship 12 times in the past 83 years and play at Bryant–Denny Stadium.
In 1963, Alabama Gov. George Wallace announced in his inaugural address, "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever" as his policy. He personally blocked the door to Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama to prevent the enrollment of two black students. He moved aside only when confronted by General Henry Graham of the Alabama National Guard, who was ordered by President John F. Kennedy to intervene.
- "University of Alabama". rankingsandreviews.com. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-alabama-1051.
- "2014 At A Glance: Total Enrollment". The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment, University of Alabama. http://oira.ua.edu/d/content/glance/2014-glance-total-enrollment. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "Design Standards and Recommendations". ua.edu. http://webguide.ua.edu/standards.html#colors.
- The American Experience; George Wallace: Settin' the Woods on Fire; Wallace Quotes, Public Broadcasting Service, pbs.org, 2000. Retrieved February 6, 2007.
- Standing In the Schoolhouse Door ~ Civil Rights Movement Veterans