kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ), is a telephone, internet service provider, and television company in the United States. It also owns a mobile phone company, Verizon Wireless. Verizon was created in 2000 by merging GTE and Bell Atlantic. These companies had already absorbed other companies, some of them more than a hundred years old. The biggest ones were formerly owned by AT&T.
In 2015, Verizon bought the Internet company AOL, and the next year it bought Yahoo!. Both of these purchases were for about US$4.4 billion. Today, both AOL and Yahoo! are part of a subsidiary created by Verizon called Oath Inc.
Verizon is one of the few publicly-traded companies to have a stock on both the NYSE and the NASDAQ. Its NYSE listing has been one of the 30 companies in the Dow Jones Industrial Average since 2004.
- About Verizon Wireless: Facts-at-a-Glance
- CBS MarketWatch profile, Verizon Communications, Inc.
- "Verizon Communications Inc. 2011 Annual Report, Form 10-K, Filing Date Feb 16, 2012". secdatabase.com. http://pdf.secdatabase.com/1571/0001193125-12-077846.pdf. Retrieved June 8, 2012.
- "Verizon to buy Yahoo for $4.83 billion, merge it with AOL" (in en). CNET. 2016-07-25. https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-buying-yahoo-likely-merging-it-with-aol/. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- Heater, Brian (2017-04-03). "Yahoo + AOL = Oath, for some reason" (in en-US). https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/03/yahoo-aol-oath-for-some-reason/.
- Isidore, Chris (2004-04-01). "Dow Jones industrial average gets first overhaul since 1999". http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/01/markets/dow/.