kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Walt Disney World Resort
|Industry||Theme parks and resorts|
|Founded||October 1, 1971|
|Founders||Walt and Roy Disney|
|Headquarters||Lake Buena Vista, Florida, U.S.|
|George Kalogridis (President)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Walt Disney Parks and Resorts|
The Walt Disney Company
|Website||[http:// Official website]|
|Walt Disney World|
Coordinates: The Walt Disney World Resort, also called Walt Disney World or Disney World, is an entertainment complex near Orlando, Florida. It opened on October 1, 1971 with only the Magic Kingdom theme park. It has since added Epcot (October 1, 1982), Disney's Hollywood Studios (May 1, 1989) and Disney's Animal Kingdom (April 22, 1998). It also has 2 water parks, 23 hotels, a campground, and Disney Springs, which is a shopping area with souvenir shops, restaurants, and sports activities.
The resort was inspired by the dreams of Walt Disney and his creation of Disneyland in California. Its original theme park, Magic Kingdom, is designed similarly to Disneyland. Walt Disney created "Disney World" to have a vacation resort that was much different from Disneyland's one-day visit; this includes a much wider variety of sports, recreation, themed resort hotels and entertainment. It covers an area of 50 square miles. The theme parks come with lots of different and fun rides and you can go swimming at the water parks. Sometimes, Disney characters walk around the parks to enjoy the younger ones. The rides are related to the books and films that Disney created.
There are 4 theme parks in Walt Disney World. Each of them have numerous rides, restaurants and entertainment activities to witness. You can meet Disney characters there and have fun viewing different parades.
- Magic Kingdom, opened October 1, 1971
- Epcot, opened October 1, 1982
- Disney's Hollywood Studios, opened May 1, 1989
- Disney's Animal Kingdom, opened April 22, 1998
There are 2 water parks:
- Disney's boardwalk
- Disney Springs, opened March 22, 1975 (Previously known as Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village, Disney Village Marketplace, and Downtown Disney)
- Disney's Wedding Pavilion, opened July 15, 1995
- ESPN Wide World of Sports, opened March 28, 1997
- Discovery Island — an island in Bay Lake that was home to many species of animals and birds. It opened on April 8, 1974, and closed on April 8, 1999.
- Disney's River Country — the first water park at the Walt Disney World Resort. It opened on June 20, 1976, and closed on November 2, 2001.
- Walt Disney World Speedway — a racetrack at Walt Disney World and included the Richard Petty Driving Experience. It opened November 28, 1995, and closed on August 9, 2015.
- DisneyQuest — an indoor interactive theme park that featured many arcade games and virtual attractions. It opened June 19, 1998 as part of an unsuccessful attempt to launch a chain of similar theme parks. It closed on July 2, 2017 to be replaced by the NBA Experience.
Plan A Visit
Since it is one of the most popular destinations for a lot of tourists as well as locals, the parks during peak times can get really crowded. Disney's Magic Kingdom alone records more than 18,588,000 visitors annually. Crowded parks are recorded in summer months and holiday times like Christmas and Thanksgiving. If you want to avoid long lines, it is better to plan a trip in the off seasons.
It is not possible to cover the entire amusement park in a single visit. There is a lot of planning required to see the best of Disney World. It is beneficial to book tickets from ticketing and travel information websites. Not only you get great discounts and but you don't have to worry about all the planning including the restaurant reservations, resort bookings . On top of that, many sites offer attractive packages you can go for too.
- Telling, Gillian. "10 crazy things you never knew about Walt Disney World". NBC. Archived from the original on March 27, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170327183512/http://www.today.com/parents/10-crazy-things-you-never-knew-about-walt-disney-world-t73881. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- "50 Disney World Trivia Facts and Unusual Weird Secrets". Vacation Kids.com. http://www.vacationkids.com/diswithkids-blog/bid/309323/50-Disney-World-Trivia-Facts-and-Unusual-Weird-Secrets. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- "17 things you didn't know about Disney World". https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/disney-world-facts-things-you-didn-t-know-about-the-orlando-theme-park. Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- Levine, Arthur (June 1, 2016). "Disney Springs: The story behind Disney World's former Downtown Disney". USA Today. Archived from the original on June 1, 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160601133550/http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/america/2016/06/01/disney-springs-downtown-disney-walt-disney-world/85208362/. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- Bevil, Dewayne; Palm, Matthew J.. "Cirque du Soleil's 'La Nouba' to close at Disney". OrlandoSentinel.com. Archived from the original on March 4, 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170304013003/http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-et-disney-cirque-la-nouba-closing-20170303-story.html. Retrieved March 4, 2017.
- Sandra Pedicini (June 30, 2015). "DisneyQuest closing at Downtown Disney". orlandosentinel.com. Tribune Newspapers. Archived from the original on July 1, 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150701110331/http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-disneyquest-closing-20150630-story.html. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "World's Most Visited Tourist Attractions". http://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/worlds-most-visited-tourist-attractions/13.
- "Disney Vacation Planning Guide". http://traveltips.usatoday.com/disney-vacation-planning-guide-21243.html.
- "Walt Disney World Tickets". https://www.knowbeforeugo.com/disney-world-tickets.html.
- [http:// Official website]