Weimarer Land is a Landkreis (rural district) in the east of Thuringia, Germany. The district-free city of Weimar is completely enclosed by the district.
The district dates back to the Großkreis Weimar, which was created in 1922 after the federal state Thuringia was established. The two cities Weimar and Apolda were not part of the district. In 1952 the district was split into two parts - Weimar and Apolda. In 1994 the two parts were merged again, however not completely covering the territory as before 1952.
Coat of arms
||The coat of arms shows symbols of the historic states on the territory of the district. The lion to the right stands for the dukes of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, the top left displays the Wheel of Mainz, and the three apples are the symbol of Apolda, as they were used in the coat of arms of the governors of Apolda. The coat of arms were granted on November 24, 1994.
Towns and municipalities