kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|Founder(s)||Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley|
|Key people||Craig Palmer (CEO)|
|Employees||127 (September 2011)|
|Alexa rank||▼ 140 (July 2013[update])|
|Type of site||Wiki farm|
|Advertising||Direct and advertising networks|
Wikia is a website where people can make a wiki. Wikia was started in 2004 by Jimmy Wales (who also started Wikipedia) and Angela Beesley. It used to be called Wikicities, and the name was changed to Wikia on March 27, 2006 to prevent other people from mistaking it for a wiki on cities.[source?]
Wikis on Wikia must be about something which lots of people will like, so people cannot make them on any topic. All content on Wikia is released under a free license, such as the GNU Free Documentation License or the Creative Commons. Anybody can change pages on wikis at Wikia, so that no single person "owns" or is "the boss" of a wiki, and so that large communities can be made. The software used is MediaWiki.
In general, Wikia has much lower standards of notability than Wikipedia does. This means that something can have an article on Wikia, but not on Wikipedia. Also, articles on Wikia are often written in more "in-universe" style; meaning that fictional characters and plots are written as if they are real. Some projects on Wikia are more for people who are very interested in the topic.
- Wikia, Inc.. "Wikia, Inc.". http://community.wikia.com/index.php?title=Wikia:Wikia,_Inc.&oldid=181067. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- "Wikia.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/wikia.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Sites using MediaWiki. Wikia is being listed on that page
- Wikimedia Foundation's donation page
- Introduction to Wikia's new look
- Special:Version on Wikia
- Community Central's Hub for big wikis