kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Centuries:||15th century – 16th century – 17th century|
|Decades:||1560s 1570s 1580s – 1590s – 1600s 1610s 1620s|
|Years:||1592 1593 1594 – 1595 – 1596 1597 1598|
- January – Mehmed III succeeds Murad III as Sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
- May 18 – The Treaty of Tyavzino brings to an end the Russo-Swedish War (1590–1595).
- May 24 – The Nomenclator of Leiden University Library appears, the first printed catalog of an institutional library.
- June 9 – Battle of Fontaine-Française: Henry IV of France defeats the Spanish, but is nearly killed.
- July 21 – A Spanish expedition led by navigator and explorer Álvaro de Mendaña de Neira makes the first European landing in Polynesia, on the Marquesas Islands.
- August 13 – Battle of Calugareni: The Wallachians, led by Michael the Brave, accomplish a great victory against the large army of the Turks, numbering over 150,000 men, led by Sinan Pasha. Wallachian tactical victory.
- October 26 – Battle of Giurgiu: Michael the Brave again defeats the Turkish army led by Sinan Pasha, pushing them on the right side of the Danube.
- December 9 – Probable first performance of William Shakespeare's Richard II.
- Probable first performance of William Shakespeare's plays Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream in London.
- The Austrians start a rebellion against the Ottomans in Bulgaria.
- January 6 – Claude Favre de Vaugelas, French grammarian and man of letters (d. 1650)
- April 12 – Miles Hobart (d. 1639)
- June 9 – King Wladislaus IV of Poland (d. 1648)
- June 13 – Jan Marek Marci, Bohemian physician and scientist (d. 1677)
- June 19 – Guru Har Gobind, the Sixth Sikh Guru (d. 1606)
- September 21 – Adrian Fearney, British pirate (d. 1641)
- November 13 – George William, Elector of Brandenburg (d. 1640)
- December 4 – Jean Chapelain, French poet (d. 1674)
- December 5 – Henry Lawes, English musician (d. 1662)
- December 27 – Bohdan Khmelnytsky, hetman of Ukraine (d. 1657)
- date unknown
- Thomas Carew, English poet (d. 1645)
- Miles Corbet, English Puritan politician (d. 1662)
- Jean Desmarets, French writer (d. 1676)
- Henry Herbert, English official (d. 1673)
- Lars Kagg, Swedish soldier and politician (d. 1661)
- Thomas May, English poet and historian (d. 1650)
- Henri II de Montmorency (d. 1632)
- Bartholomaeus Nigrinus, Polish Rosicrucian (d. 1646)
- Pocahontas, Algonquian princess (d. 1617)
- Mikołaj Potocki, Polish politician (d. 1651)
- Robert Sempill the younger, Scottish writer (d. 1663)
- Cornelius Vermuyden, Dutch engineer (d. 1683)
- January 15 – Murad III, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1546)
- January 24 – Archduke Ferdinand II of Austria (b. 1529)
- February 12 – Archduke Ernest of Austria, Governor of the Spanish Netherlands (b. 1553)
- February 21 – Robert Southwell, Jesuit priest and poet (b. 1561)
- April 25 – Torquato Tasso, Italian poet (b. 1544)
- May 25 – Valens Acidalius, German critic and poet (b. 1567)
- May 26 – Philip Neri, Italian churchman (b. 1515)
- August 24 – Thomas Digges, English astronomer (b. 1546)
- August 26 – Antonio, Prior of Crato, claimant to the throne of Portugal (b. 1531)
- September – Patriarch Jeremias II of Constantinople (b. 1530)
- October 19 – Philip Howard, 20th Earl of Arundel, English nobleman (b. 1537)
- November 5 – Luis Barahona de Soto, Spanish poet (b. 1548)
- November 12 – John Hawkins, English shipbuilder and trader (b. 1532)
- November 29 – Alonso de Ercilla y Zúñiga, Basque soldier and poet (b. 1533)
- December 14 – Henry Hastings, 3rd Earl of Huntingdon (b. 1535)
- date unknown
- Palmer, Alan; Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 163–165. .