kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Accessibility is the word used to describe equal access for people with disabilities to any environment, movement, information or communication. It means that a person with a disability should be able to use a product or service to access society at the same level as a person without a disability.
Examples of accessibility include:
- Buildings that have access ramps for people in wheelchairs or motorised scooters
- Close captioning on television and subtitles on DVD's for people who cannot hear
- Sign language that allows deaf people to communicate other people
- Braille for people with a vision impairment to help them read books
- Modified computer software and hardware that allows people with a disability or disabilites to access the Internet and use a personal computer
The word accessibility is used in the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, mostly in article 9.