kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:WPMILHIST Infobox style' not found. The Anglo-Dutch Wars (Dutch: Engels–Nederlandse Oorlogen or Engelse Zeeoorlogen) were a series of wars fought between the English and the Dutch during the 17th and 18th centuries. The two nations fought for control over trade routes on the seas. All of the wars were mostly fought by Naval warfare.
The First War (1652–1654) took place during the Interregnum in England, the period after the Civil War when England did not have a king or queen. The war was fought between the navies of England and the Dutch Republic (also known as the United Provinces). It mainly took place in the English Channel and the North Sea. It ended with the English Navy gaining control of these seas and a monopoly over trade with the English colonies.
The second (1665–1667) and third (1672–1674) wars happened after the English Restoration of the monarchy. England tried to end the Dutch monopoly over world trade. Most of the fighting in both wars was done in the North Sea. In the Third War, England fought alongside France. Both of these wars ended in strong victories for the Dutch. They confirmed the Dutch Republic's position as the leading maritime power of the 17th century. The English took New Netherland and the Dutch let them keep it in return for Suriname.
The Fourth War (1780–1784) took place after the Acts of Union in Britain, and involved the Dutch Republic and the Kingdom of Great Britain. It mainly started because Britain disagreed with the Dutch trading with the United States during the American Revolutionary War. The war ended with the Treaty of Paris (1784). It ended with a very bad defeat for the Dutch. They lost parts of their Dutch Empire.
- Glorious Revolution
- History of the Netherlands
- History of England
- British East India Company
- Dutch East India Company
- D. R. Hainsworth, et al. (1998) The Anglo-Dutch Naval Wars 1652-1674
- James Rees Jones (1996) The Anglo-Dutch wars of the seventeenth century
- Angus Konstam and Tony Bryan (2011) Warships of the Anglo-Dutch Wars 1652-74
- (in Dutch) Painting of Anglo-Dutch sea battle, Third War, at the National Maritime Museum, London, NL: Zeeburg nieuws, http://www.zeeburgnieuws.nl/specials/scheepvaart/voc-foto01-dt.html .
- National Maritime Museum, London.
- Dutch Admiral Michiel de Ruyters' flagship 'The Seven Provinces' is being rebuilt in the Dutch town of Lelystad.
- A short history of the Anglo–Dutch Wars, Contemplator, http://www.contemplator.com/history/dutchwar.html .