kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Arrondissements of the Gers department
There are 3 arrondissements in the Gers department. The French departments, and in other countries, are divided into arrondissements, which may be translated into English as districts (in some cases, as boroughs). The capital of an arrondissement is called a subprefecture.
If the prefecture (capital) of the department is in an arrondissement, that prefecture is the capital of the arrondissement, acting both as a prefecture and as a subprefecture.
The arrondissements of the Gers department are:
- Arrondissement of Auch, (prefecture of the Gers department: Auch), with 12 cantons and 154 communes.
- Arrondissement of Condom, (subprefecture: Condom), with 11 cantons and 159 communes.
- Arrondissement of Mirande, (subprefecture: Mirande), with 8 cantons and 150 communes.
Since its creation, the Gers department has had few changes:
- 1790 : creation of the Gers department with six districts: Auch, Lectoure, Condom, Nogaro, L'Isle-Jourdain, Mirande; the capital was Auch
- 1800 : creation of the arrondissements: Auch, Condom, Lectoure, Lombez, Mirande
- 1926 : the arrondissements of Lectoure and Lombez are eliminated
- "Liste des arrondissement du département du Gers" (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. http://www.insee.fr/fr/methodes/nomenclatures/cog/arrdep.asp?codedep=32. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Historique du Gers" (in French). Le SPLAF. http://splaf.free.fr/32his.html. Retrieved 4 April 2014.